Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Got me a K10d!!!!

Father Ted
Posted 28/03/2012 - 12:28 Link
Well, I've wanted to "upgrade" from my trusty *istDL for a while now, and, thanks to the mis-fortune of another member, I've now got me a K10!!

It's been drop tested and was injured, but nothing life threatening. The lens mount had came away from the body, but a bit of epoxy resin to reinforce the screw holes sorted that. The auto aperture no longer works, it looks like the small bit of plastic which fell out of the camera may have been connected to that.
But, it still works, I can take pics using the aperture ring on the lens and a bit of jiggery pokery ( focus with aperture wide open, then stop it down until I'm happy with the shutter speed or DoF I have), but it's not really that different than using my older lenses.

All-in-all, I'm over the moon!!
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
George Lazarette
Posted 28/03/2012 - 13:29 Link
You've got yourself that rarest of rare devices - a manual DSLR!

Just remember that all the truly great photographers used manual cameras, and you won't feel disadvantaged. In fact, being forced to think more before pressing the shutter, you will almost certainly find that your photography will improve.

Now to drop my K20D...

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Father Ted
Posted 28/03/2012 - 13:50 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
In fact, being forced to think more before pressing the shutter, you will almost certainly find that your photography will improve.

Now to drop my K20D...

G

To be honest, that's pretty much what I told the guy I bought it from. No more point and click, I've got to think about it and set the shot up. Quite looking forward to really.

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
rparmar
Posted 28/03/2012 - 15:27 Link
As much as I like manual focus, I do prefer automatic metering since it simply saves time. But there's nothing wrong with the old stop-down route so long as you can always take your time to get a shot. Maybe you can upgrade to a fully working K10D down the line.

P.S. How's life in the Wirral these days? Been more than 15 years since I've been there to visit my relatives.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Father Ted
Posted 28/03/2012 - 16:11 Link
The metering is still automatic, I just use Av mode, or M and press the green button after setting the aperture.
And my camera is usually in Av mode anyway, just this way I use the aperture ring, rather than the dail on the body.

Life on the Wirral hasn't changed much. You'd still recognise the place.

Edited by Father Ted: 28/03/2012 - 16:13
davidtrout
Posted 28/03/2012 - 16:52 Link
The K10 is still a great camera Ted even one with a slight disabilty.
David.

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Edited by davidtrout: 28/03/2012 - 16:55
Smeggypants
Posted 29/03/2012 - 07:13 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
You've got yourself that rarest of rare devices - a manual DSLR!

Just remember that all the truly great photographers used manual cameras, and you won't feel disadvantaged. In fact, being forced to think more before pressing the shutter, you will almost certainly find that your photography will improve.

Now to drop my K20D...

G

What a load of pretentious drivel. Great photographers are great because they've got a great eye, not becuase they use a manual camera. A great photographer will take great pics on an automatic point and shoot just as well as on a manual camera. Why? becuase they don't have to be 'forced' to think, their natural eye means they just do it on gut instinct.

S
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnriley
Posted 29/03/2012 - 08:43 Link
The point George is making is that a manual camera doesn't disadvantage great photographers, not that you need a manual camera to be a great photographer.

Hopefully we haven't lost the ability to realise that George is being both encouraging and humorous. I don't believe he is really going to drop his K20D....
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 29/03/2012 - 11:26 Link
Not really PLANNING to, no. But I have already dropped one, so I have "form".

In his haste, our resident Caliban appears to have missed the word MORE, which followed "forced to think". It does make all the difference to the meaning of what I wrote.

And I didn't of course say that great photographers were great BECAUSE (note the spelling) they used manual cameras. But quoting me honestly wouldn't have served Caliban's purpose.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Galoot
Posted 29/03/2012 - 11:26 Link
Hi Ted, regarding your email, I couldn't find the original pictures I posted, but found another I had taken at the time.
The problem I had was that the camera would not stop down the lens and discovered that a little spring arm had slipped of the "Yellow" part in the picture below.

The "Yellow" part here is shown in the faulty position. So if yours is like this, then you may have the same fault.

The red arrow shows the top part of the spring, the green arrow shows where the small spring arm hooks over, pulling the 'Yellow" part down to the correct position. The pink arrow shows where the small spring arm is now.

I manually pushed the 'Yellow' part down and using a hooked dental probe, pulled the spring arm over the lug indicated by the green arrow.

Hope that helps, p.s. ignore the dust.

Comment Image
ChrisR
Posted 29/03/2012 - 11:48 Link
I am not a great photographer, not even a good photographer, but I know that I took better photographs, back in the days of using my Spotmatic II, manual everything, than I do with my K10 and K5, auto everything, I know you can still use manual if you want, and I am not blaming the cameras in any way, for my failings.

I know that I don’t have a photographic eye, my wife does and can take a good photograph, whatever camera is used.

But I just think that using manual, makes a lazy brain such I mine, think a bit more of what I am doing.

I think that was a long way of saying, Ted, is not at any disadvantage, without the auto everything working.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Father Ted
Posted 29/03/2012 - 12:09 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

What a load of pretentious drivel. Great photographers are great because they've got a great eye, not becuase they use a manual camera. A great photographer will take great pics on an automatic point and shoot just as well as on a manual camera. Why? becuase they don't have to be 'forced' to think, their natural eye means they just do it on gut instinct.

S

Aye, but I don't have the eye.
And, being forced to slow down a little, I'm sure, will help. One reason why I should use my tripod more often, as it reduces the instinct to point and shoot.

But I'll happily accept your compliment that I may be a great photographer who could shoot with any type of device ( yeah, right! I wish!! )

rparmar
Posted 29/03/2012 - 12:54 Link
Since this discussion has become all serious...

I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that adding the requirement of pushing a button painted green is going to make anyone a better photographer. In fact, the only reason that button is there is because Pentax "forgot" the aperture lever, which is why it's referred to as the "crippled" mount.

My preferred way of shooting is with an aperture dial on the lens and manual focus. This is not so much because it slows me down as because it speeds me up! The ergonomics are better and I don't have to keep second-guessing automated systems in the computer they now call a camera. I change the aperture after considering the light and my required depth of field; it's part of a contemplative decision-making process.

The second part of the process is precise focus and framing, plus waiting for the right moment. All I need here is a shutter button.

Decoupling these two related and integral acts in this way is the most comfortable for me to achieve decent results from the photographic process.

But the green button is just freaking annoying, especially as the metering is always off and, worse, inconsistent. When using Pentax I require an "A" position on the aperture dial. When using Olympus PEN, not so.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
johnriley
Posted 29/03/2012 - 13:03 Link
I'm sure we all do what suits us, but it's not the only way.
Best regards, John
Father Ted
Posted 29/03/2012 - 13:11 Link
johnriley wrote:
I'm sure we all do what suits us, but it's not the only way.

'Tis true

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.