good start to the month not - rant mode!

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 01/10/2016 - 11:59
I have my magazines sent to my parents address (legacy of having lived abroad) and so that my late father (who introduced me to the K-mount) could have a read...

I pick up my Practical Photography (sometimes good items) and have a look at the item about the sharp lenses under 1000 - three Pentax lenses on test - the 100WR macro and the DA*55 being 2 and the last one being the FA77. Apparently, the 100 macro was the only WR lens in the test. HELLO Practical Photography - DO YOUR RESEARCH!! the DA* lenses are all WR... Plus there is a mugshot of our esteemed PUT member.

I throw the PP down and pick up Digital Camera. It does a test of all wildlife lenses....guess what's missing... Doesn't help if Sigma or Tamron don't cater for Pentax at the moment but the message comes across that Pentax doesn't cater for wildlife...

Time to start saving money I think
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

RobL

Link Posted 01/10/2016 - 12:40
I have seen lens comparison tests where Pentax loses points for not having SR. But these are only of value in comparing lenses which fit on your chosen mount; are you going to change brands because a slight difference in a lens review? I don't think so. I now favour magazines which concentrate on photographic results not geeky obsession with kit reviews.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/10/2016 - 14:29
I've not seen this yet, but I'll have a look while we're out this afternoon.
Best regards, John

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 01/10/2016 - 22:49
RobL wrote:
I have seen lens comparison tests where Pentax loses points for not having SR. But these are only of value in comparing lenses which fit on your chosen mount; are you going to change brands because a slight difference in a lens review? I don't think so. I now favour magazines which concentrate on photographic results not geeky obsession with kit reviews.

You pay 5 for a magazine - you expect them to get it right. Incorrect detail or something just missing changes the perception of a lot of people to brands like Pentax,Sony and Olympus...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.