Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Gold Spotmatic

johnriley
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:21 Link
No, I don't have one, but I thought you might like to get a glimpse...
Comment Image
Best regards, John
steven9761
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:40 Link
When's the closing date for the compo, John??
johnriley
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:42 Link
I just wonder who won it and where it is now...
Best regards, John
steven9761
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:46 Link
I should think that by this time, it's in camera Heaven, having done numerous good deeds here on earth in its lifetime. I daresay St Peter, or even God Himself have it strapped around their neck, taking numerous photos of fluffy white clouds, and possibly a few angels posing with their harps too!!
Edited by steven9761: 09/01/2012 - 21:46
Mike-P
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:49 Link
Probably stuck unused in some collection somewhere.
George Lazarette
Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:59 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Probably stuck unused in some collection somewhere.

I'll have a search through mine. These things can so easily be forgotten or overlooked.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
giofi
Posted 09/01/2012 - 22:16 Link
Some info here:

Spotmatic Gold (1970)
Gold finished award camera, made in 1970 on occasion of '2nd Asahi Pentax World Photo Contest' Here you can see the prize-giving to Mr. Gino Barbieri, from Modena, winner of the Spotmatic Gold among Italian photo dealers.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 09/01/2012 - 22:39 Link
Wherever it is, I hope it's in a sealed box where nobody can see how ugly it is.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
steven9761
Posted 09/01/2012 - 22:42 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Wherever it is, I hope it's in a sealed box where nobody can see how ugly it is.

Jonathan - perhaps in its day it was the original "sex-machine"..!! LOL!!
ChrisR
Posted 10/01/2012 - 09:09 Link
Same year that I purchased my spotmatic, maybe I should have a scrape at the alloy to see if it is gold underneath.

No, its alloy through and through, but it was/is a true gold performer though, sorry that was a bit cheesy.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
womble
Posted 10/01/2012 - 16:56 Link
Almost as ugly as the gold LX with snakeskin leathers...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnriley
Posted 10/01/2012 - 17:23 Link
Society photographers used to sometimes use gold plated cameras, or Platinum plated ones, to impress their clientele.

Unfortunately I have to rely on results speaking for themselves...
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 10/01/2012 - 19:42 Link
I have it!

The magazine that is.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 10/01/2012 - 19:43
Peter Elgar
Posted 17/01/2012 - 20:27 Link
I remember going in for that Competition -- I had a black Spotmatic at the time I later gave to a girl friend who broke my heart by going off with a divorced Policeman -- they live down the road from me here now and she sends a Christmas card ! Then I got Wife No. 2 to whom I gave an MX and she went off with the Vice-Chairman of Barking Photographic Society and took the MX ,a 120mm f2.8 SMC-Pentax-M and Sigma 400mm f5.6 -- now wife No. 3 is NOT British origin-- she is Filipina and I got her a NIKON !!!
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
steven9761
Posted 17/01/2012 - 21:56 Link
Peter Elgar wrote:
I remember going in for that Competition -- I had a black Spotmatic at the time I later gave to a girl friend who broke my heart by going off with a divorced Policeman -- they live down the road from me here now and she sends a Christmas card ! Then I got Wife No. 2 to whom I gave an MX and she went off with the Vice-Chairman of Barking Photographic Society and took the MX ,a 120mm f2.8 SMC-Pentax-M and Sigma 400mm f5.6 -- now wife No. 3 is NOT British origin-- she is Filipina and I got her a NIKON !!!

Peter - I spot a pattern here, bud!!. Stop giving cameras to the babes!!.. Flowers and a box of chocs is de rigeur, mate!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.