Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Gloucester Cathedral.

Jim-w
Posted 05/05/2014 - 08:38 Link
Some images taken in Gloucester Cathedral. Gloucester Choral Society and Cheltenham Symphony Orchestra were practising at the time.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Smeggypants
Posted 05/05/2014 - 08:48 Link
These are superb!!

I think they could have even more impact with some post processing, but the foundations are there and that's the important bit.

Excellent!!!
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
mivoligo
Posted 05/05/2014 - 09:21 Link
Great set! You clearly have an eye for interesting things and compositions worth photographing.
redbusa99
Posted 05/05/2014 - 09:55 Link
certainly different from the usual shots taken here, an excellent eye you have there Jim. 3,6,11 stand out for me but the rest are all very good.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Jim-w
Posted 05/05/2014 - 21:14 Link
Thank you for your comments, these were fun to take and mess with, although in hindsight I should have shot Raw and not just Jpeg.

Smeggypants wrote:
These are superb!!

I think they could have even more impact with some post processing, but the foundations are there and that's the important bit.

Excellent!!!

I would like to have given some of these more impact, but my biggest problem is my own lack of PP ability. Any tips or thoughts on ways to improve any of these shots.

All the best..Jim.
McGregNi
Posted 05/05/2014 - 21:46 Link
Jim-w wrote:
I would like to have given some of these more impact, but my biggest problem is my own lack of PP ability. Any tips or thoughts on ways to improve any of these shots.Jim.

Jim, its a varied set of images in a most atmospheric setting. In terms of PP, there's one aspect common to a few of them which I would look at, and that is the highlight areas. In a number of them the highlight tones are clipped, or nearly blown out - eg No5 the left most music stand / 6 outside the door / 8 the 2nd bassists left hand / 11 the stained glass .

Probably this is because the metering has 'seen' mostly darker zones in these shots (I'm guessing you used Matrix mode?) and has given you an exposure primarily for these darker parts of the frame. For me, these highlights can be distracting and pull the eye away from the main subjects, so I would select these brightest areas and try and reduce the brightness a bit. This will not be that easy now with these JPEGs, you'll be limited to a very small reduction, but it would probably help.

In hindsight in this sort of location it may be better to meter more for the brighter parts (eg by using spot mode , or just pointing the lens in the general direction and setting it manually or using the exposure lock before recomposing for the shot). This will give you darker images, but retain nice quality and detail in these clipped areas. You'll then have a much easier job to pull up the lower and mid tone brightness if needed on the computer a bit, and should give a very atmospheric and softer image.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
bwlchmawr
Posted 05/05/2014 - 22:00 Link
A lovely, varied set. As Nigel says, there are some clipped highlights but most could be recovered if you have the original RAW files. It's really very simple to do: even I can manage it.

But the very minor technical issues are nothing to worry about: your eye for a telling picture and the sense of occasion are commendable.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Jim-w
Posted 06/05/2014 - 20:22 Link
Thanks for your comments, Nigel you are right about the highlights I should have taken more care at the time, although I quite like the effect in image 6 but that's just my personal taste, for me image 9 is spoilt the most by the blown highlight which is a shame as its probably my favourite of the bunch.

All the best...Jim.
Stuey
Posted 06/05/2014 - 20:34 Link
Cracking
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.