Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Getting old 35mm Cameras going again

DaveK
Posted 29/03/2023 - 14:23 Link
I recently 'discovered' again my old cameras. An ME Super and a P30, both last used about 1990 and am trying to get them going again for old times sake. I saw some very old messages on here from about 10 years ago mentioning the main things to do to cure common problems usually consist of - new batteries / checking battery terminals, giving them a good shake/thump ! warming them in the sun etc.
I've tried these and the ME Super is now generally working fine but occasionally winding on a few times before the shutter fires but the P30 is not showing a light meter reading until after the shutter has fired.
I can understand the need to heat up the cameras as the internal lubricant may have hardened but is there a way to stop it re-hardening again as the ME Super is fine for a while but left a few days the problem re-occurs.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks - Dave.
Posted 29/03/2023 - 20:24 Link
Hi
I would have both given a CLA by a good camera tech. This will remove old and stiff lubes and have new modern lubes used. I had this done to my Pentax ME Super and Superprogram. It's with the time and cost.

Herb
Benz3ne
Posted 30/03/2023 - 05:25 Link
DaveK wrote:
I recently 'discovered' again my old cameras. An ME Super and a P30, both last used about 1990 and am trying to get them going again for old times sake. I saw some very old messages on here from about 10 years ago mentioning the main things to do to cure common problems usually consist of - new batteries / checking battery terminals, giving them a good shake/thump ! warming them in the sun etc.
I've tried these and the ME Super is now generally working fine but occasionally winding on a few times before the shutter fires but the P30 is not showing a light meter reading until after the shutter has fired.
I can understand the need to heat up the cameras as the internal lubricant may have hardened but is there a way to stop it re-hardening again as the ME Super is fine for a while but left a few days the problem re-occurs.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks - Dave.

The ME Super’s issue has been widely reported. See the below for more details of how they can be fixed.

https://youtu.be/NJUeXlA2qjM

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.