Garden Beauties

davidstorm

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:17
Most of us have some beautiful wildlife in our gardens, particularly birds. One of my photography passions is to record this wildlife, either in my own garden or in other places. This set is about the birds in our gardens and features my favourite British native species, the Goldfinch.

The images are all taken with the DA*300 and 1.4 TC, with a mixture of the K-5iis and the K-3.

Constructive criticism and feedback is very much encouraged.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:27
These are just beautifully photographed and presented.
Best regards, John

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:43
great shots DaviD!
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

AndrewA

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:47
johnriley wrote:

Absolutely!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

jvs

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:49
Lovely shots, David. Superb DoF control makes the birds stand out, with lovely soft bokeh. You can't beat a male bullfinch for a subject!
John

swarf

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:54
Absolutely no criticism here - the detail is superb, and as John noted, the control of the DoF really makes th images come alive.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Darkmunk

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:55
johnriley wrote:

Well they were until this website got hold of them and made them less important than blank space and adverts.
Lovely photos You have to click-through for each one tho. urhgg.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Blythman

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 20:56
Fabulous David. Particularly like the first and last goldfinch. They pop
Alan

PPG
Flickr

MrB

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 23:57
No criticism, I can only agree with everyone here - wonderful images of handsome subjects. I like them all and my favourite is number 5.

Cheers.
Philip

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 01:08
The last Goldfinch and the Bullfinch in particular are excellent. The DA*300/1.4TC is a strong combination
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Last Edited by StephenHampshire on 08/12/2014 - 01:09

K10D

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 03:35
First class work and presentation.

Best regards

Stuey

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 21:20
These are awful - those birds keep getting in the way of the branches you are shooting

More seriously - cracking shots David
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 21:52
Hi all, thanks very much for the great comments. I love your humour Stuey!

Stuey wrote:
These are awful - those birds keep getting in the way of the branches you are shooting

Regarding the way they present on the Forum:

Darkmunk wrote:
Well they were until this website got hold of them and made them less important than blank space and adverts.
Lovely photos You have to click-through for each one tho. urhgg.

I agree in part, although there seems to be a big difference based on the Browser and resolution the Forum is viewed at. My biggest gripe is the image sizes, on click through they are much better in the new Gallery than they are on the Forum, but at least they are retaining their true colour and contrast now, which wasn't so in the past.

StephenHampshire wrote:
The last Goldfinch and the Bullfinch in particular are excellent. The DA*300/1.4TC is a strong combination

I would go stronger than that about the DA*300/1.4TC combination, I would say it is stellar in IQ terms and also pretty darned good for AF. There can be a tendency to hunt a little in AF and I find it works better for me in AF-S than AF-C, but once it locks on it's usually right. The beauty for me with this combination is the ability to use it wide open and get sharp results, all of these were at F5.6 I think, which is widest effective aperture available with the TC attached. It's also very usable without a camera support; all of these were hand held at shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/250. I guess this also speaks volumes for the in-body stabilisation.

Regards
David

Flickr

sandinista

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 22:20
A top quality set David
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 22:54
sandinista wrote:
A top quality set David

Cheers Jim, much appreciated

Best wishes
David

Flickr

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.