Garden Beauties

NeilP

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 23:14
StephenHampshire wrote:
The last Goldfinch and the Bullfinch in particular are excellent. The DA*300/1.4TC is a strong combination

Those 2 stood out for me as well.
UK Wildlife blog ----- UK Wildlife Facebook page ----- UK wildlife Twitter

McGregNi

Link Posted 09/12/2014 - 18:21
A very good set, and No 1 & 5 are the best for me! Beautiful natural colours and subdued backgrounds are the key components working well together. Good sharpness and detail overall. Well done David for grabbing these lovely images.

I prefer the ones with just natural landing supports, not so keen where there are man-made objects. Also its a pity in No 4 that the focus is slightly off the face .. did you get any more in a burst you could use?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 09/12/2014 - 18:22

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/12/2014 - 21:09
McGregNi wrote:
I prefer the ones with just natural landing supports, not so keen where there are man-made objects. Also its a pity in No 4 that the focus is slightly off the face .. did you get any more in a burst you could use?

Thanks for the feedback Nigel, it's always appreciated. I agree with you about the 'natural landing supports', I always prefer this too, the only trouble is that sometimes it's impossible to get the shot you really want. The Bullfinch is a case in point, the only time it came close enough for a decent shot was when it landed on the wire and I got a good sharp image of it there, so this has to make do.

Regarding the Blue Tit, I only got 5 shots of this bird and all of the others have blurring due the bird's movement, so again this was the best one. The shutter speed on these shots was pretty low, between 1/60th and 1/200th of a second, so subject movement (and camera movement for that matter) is always a risk. I seem to have got quite good at holding the camera steady but I can't stop the birds moving yet!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

DrOrloff

Link Posted 10/12/2014 - 00:31
A decent set but sorry no eulogising from me. I too like the way the subjects stand out against the rich, subdued backgrounds, Those conditions of course require slower shutter speeds and I'm not sure that the critical sharpness is always there - a shame that image sizes have now been reduced on the forum so it is difficult to view them properly. 1/60th second is always going to be tough. What is natural is I suppose a moot point since garden birds adapt to human environments but I don't find the perches attractive enough here. Personally I prefer to see no signs at all of baiting, even through it is a necessity to attract the birds in the first place. I am envious that you have managed to tempt a goldfinch and in particular a bullfinch, they won't come anywhere near my feeders yet. This type of photography is an awful lot harder than it looks, the simpler the result the more difficult it is to achieve. These images are a start but I know that you are capable of much better (not intended to sound patronising).
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/12/2014 - 00:49
You don't think it could just be a fault with his camera ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/12/2014 - 00:49

carmagw

Link Posted 10/12/2014 - 19:34
Very nice David, 1st and 5th my personal favorites. I don't think I've ever seen a finch in my backyard (the the university in the background wouldn't make a great picture to be fair).

I have been impressed with the 300* and 1.4 TC on the few times I've used it. Will try it some more going forward.

Regards

George

Nodfa

Link Posted 10/12/2014 - 20:22
Beautiful set of photos, especially the Goldfinches. Lovely feather detail and colouring.

regards,

Jez

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/12/2014 - 21:08
Thanks all for the additional comments, particularly from Adrian (DrOrloff) who always provides insightful and honest feedback which is invariably correct. I know and he knows that these shots are nowhere near the standard to which I aspire; they are a starting point for me and I know that I can get much better than these. To get images of the highest standard requires a lot of time, thought, dedication and skill. I think I have all of these attributes at present, apart from time, but I'll have to work one that a bit more once my house is renovated!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.