Fungus on Sigma

Kenty

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 12:54
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me here.
I have a Sigma 120/400mm which I use with my K7. Recently I have noticed there appears to be some fungus on the inside of the front element.
I have been 'googling' for repairers and would like a local repairer if possible within West Midlands. I would prefer to deliver and collect rather than post.
I have found one which 'covers' Birmingham but suspect they are not based in Birmingham. Also I can't find their address!! ie link
Does anybody know this company and are they reliable?
Alternatively does anybody know of a reliable repairer preferably in the West Midlands. If not I'll have to bite the bullet and post the lens to a repairer.
Thanks
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 13:49
Posting a lens shouldn't me much of a problem and it will increase your choice of supplier.
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 14:13
On a lens like that I would certainly consider posting it to Sigma themselves for repair. Though the cost may be a little prohibitive. (repair not the posting)
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

bforbes

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 14:20
Sigma Service Tariff here link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 17:52
The reason you can not find an address is that they do not exist - it is a shell.

The company that owns the website is Brighton based "Productshare UK Ltd". They are acting as an intermediary - feeding work to local/ National or even International companies.

That does not necessarily make it a con and they may only be passing work to very credible repairers - but you are not dealing with who you think you are and have no idea who will be repairing your lens and certainly will not be able to hand deliver it.

Personally I would not touch them with the proverbial long stick used on canal boats!!

Go with Sigma

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 21/08/2013 - 17:53

K30git

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 10:17
At 52.99 per hour it wouldn't take long to rack up a healthy bill, anyone have any feel for lens cleaning times?

Seems like they will give you an estimate first though.....
Last Edited by K30git on 22/08/2013 - 10:18

aliengrove

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 11:22
Try leaving it in the sun for a few hours....
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Kenty

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 11:37
Thanks for the helpful responses. I will not be using Productshare UK Ltd!!
I left it in the sun yesterday and will do so again - when and if we get more sun! I think I read somewhere that it won't get rid of the fungus but may kill it and stop it spreading.
Yes I saw the cost of 52.99 per Sigma for getting rid of fungus. I could accept, cost-wise, I hour but if it takes a lot longer...I'll have to think carefully. Will see if I can get an estimate before sending it off.
I suppose this would not be a DIY job!!
Cheers and thanks...John
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters

bforbes

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 11:49
I've used A.M. Tech. Services before. link He sorted out a Tamron lens for me at a reasonable price, after another repairer had botched it up.

Worth giving him a call, I would say.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Helpful

fritzthedog

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 13:27
bforbes wrote:
I've used A.M. Tech. Services before. link He sorted out a Tamron lens for me at a reasonable price, after another repairer had botched it up.

Worth giving him a call, I would say.

You beat me to it Barrie - I was going to mention Alan Marlow. He has a first class reputation and although I have not used his services personally - I know several people who have and been well satisfied.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Helpful

stub

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 15:34
I have used his services. So to speak. I found him polite, efficient prompt and above all cheap.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Helpful

Kenty

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 15:59
Thanks for your recommendations. I've just sent an eMail to A.M. Tech Services.

I must now look into ways to ensure this does not re-occur with this or any other lenses.

John
My Kit

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 19:06
I couldn't recommend Sigma's repair service highly enough, it is excellent. I managed to get hol of a Canon version of the 70-200 f2.8 for 100 for a friend of mine that had a failed HSM. I sent it to Sigma, they emailed me with the quote and detailed repair, which was the same as their standard tariff, before commencing any work. We went ahead with the repair and it was returned in pristine condition.
Then, less that 3 months later the silly old duffer knocked over his tripod, complete with Canon 550D and said 70-200, it toppled over and landed square on the front element (on concrete) denting the barrel, knocking the retaining ring for the front element out of alignment and sadly breaking the AF (again) and the lens hood. After I nagged him for a few weeks he eventually sent it off to Sigma for yet another repair, this time the quote came back looking like War & Peace but they repaired it at the same price i.e. the tariff, number 7 131 (which I believe yours would fall into because the 150-500 is basically the same lens with an extender on the end). Highly recommended.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
Last Edited by SteveEveritt on 22/08/2013 - 19:09

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.