Fun in the bamboo patch - first experiments...

Sry

Link Posted 15/06/2019 - 22:24
I've been trying to interact (photographically speaking) with the bamboo patch down by the river. Unsatisfied with what I was getting, I figured I might put that old and rather bland Tokina 28mm on my K-01 with a 12mm extension tube (never used those yet). These are the first results from that setup - all hand-held, so as to favor a degree of unsharpness. I'll probably go back with a tripod though, and on a sunnier day...

davidwozhere

Link Posted 16/06/2019 - 01:34
I think I would stay away from that place from the look of these
That combination certainly produces some intriguing images which are greatly enhanced by the use of B&W. Looks like a successful experiment.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 16/06/2019 - 13:13
Nice work. No. 3 looks like a wave from a visiting alien.
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/06/2019 - 15:36
A very interesting set. B&W works well, emphasises structure, form and composition. Colour would probably distract from what these are all about. Definitely worth persuing the experiment further.

Like pschlute, I saw a hand in No. 3. Also rising flames in No. 6 and a howling wolf in Nos. 1 and 2. No. 4 is the highlight for me - totally abstract, until part of a face appeared in the top right corner. And having seen the face once, it won't go away!!

Steve

Sry

Link Posted 16/06/2019 - 21:05
davidwozhere wrote:
I think I would stay away from that place from the look of these

There certainly are some strange and spooky creatures out there - I dare say I'm rather attracted to them...

pschlute wrote:
Nice work. No. 3 looks like a wave from a visiting alien.

Couldn't quite figure what that one was about. Thanks for the tip!

Lubbyman wrote:
a howling wolf in Nos. 1 and 2.

Definitely a howling something I was thinking more of a dementor-type creature

Lubbyman wrote:
No. 4 is the highlight for me - totally abstract, until part of a face appeared in the top right corner. And having seen the face once, it won't go away!!

I struggled a bit trying to bring it out discreetly enough that it isn't necessarily the first thing you see. Once you have though, I agree it cannot be unseen!

Thank you all for your thoughts.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 20/06/2019 - 23:18
Really like these Serge... the super shallow dof is really effective... something quite otherworldly about them... you've made the bamboo feel alive (which of course it is)... but in an "emerging creature" kind of a way... 6 is a belter... partic like the round oof bokeh behind the fingers... 8 too, which feels a bit like a sea anemone to me... but there's definitely that old Minor White thing of "what it is" vs "what else it is" going on with these... gd luck with the project...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Sry

Link Posted 21/06/2019 - 09:40
Thanks for your input, Bill, much appreciated. And thanks for bringing Minor White to my attention, I had never heard of him and will be reading up.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.