Fulmar Photos
Posted 28/02/2014 - 19:48
Link
What is the reason for turning off all stabilisation?
Posted 28/02/2014 - 20:09
Link
The OS is great for static stuff but not great IMO for action.
Theres a slight delay before it kicks in... I dont use it at all for birds. I know you can use the panning (number 2 option) but its a little slow for me
Theres a slight delay before it kicks in... I dont use it at all for birds. I know you can use the panning (number 2 option) but its a little slow for me
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Posted 28/02/2014 - 20:11
Link
Glowingblue wrote:
What is the reason for turning off all stabilisation?
I would imagine that it would be counter-productive having the anti-shake turned on when panning / moving the camera quickly as the mechanism wouldn't adjust quickly enough to the movement of the camera and this would result in every shot being wasted. I'm sure Alistair will correct me if I'm wrong!What is the reason for turning off all stabilisation?
Regards
David
Edit: Alistair was too quick for me!
Posted 28/02/2014 - 20:16
Link
exactly
The difference is remarkable. Im not dismissing Sigmas OS though. Its fantastic - just not for birds that move all over the place
The difference is remarkable. Im not dismissing Sigmas OS though. Its fantastic - just not for birds that move all over the place
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Posted 28/02/2014 - 20:30
Link
That third shot is superb Alistair, a real testament to your camera skills.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 28/02/2014 - 21:07
Link
I'd be interested to see a set, with one with both on then individually on.
I like them all but the look in its eye in the last one is the winner
I like them all but the look in its eye in the last one is the winner
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Posted 28/02/2014 - 21:22
Link
Magical birds. Fantastic flyers. Well done Alistair.
As to image stabilization. if we use the reciprocal of focal length for shooting handheld (and adding for the crop factor), no-one should be needing OS or IS at the shutter speeds you have for these.
As to the internal stabilization, I've missed shots of static subjects because I've had to take the shot before its kicked in. So, always off for wildlife, whenever possible. At least with the in lens OS, you can physically see the image stabilize, so know when its kicked in.
As to image stabilization. if we use the reciprocal of focal length for shooting handheld (and adding for the crop factor), no-one should be needing OS or IS at the shutter speeds you have for these.
As to the internal stabilization, I've missed shots of static subjects because I've had to take the shot before its kicked in. So, always off for wildlife, whenever possible. At least with the in lens OS, you can physically see the image stabilize, so know when its kicked in.
Posted 28/02/2014 - 21:28
Link
I like No 2 best, great action capture but that lovely soft 'under-lighting' makes it special.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 28/02/2014 - 22:23
Link
Thanks guys. They are special birds.
Glad you like
Glad you like
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1521 posts
15 years
These are the best of the bunch
k-5 and 150 - 500(OS turned off in camera and lens
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/