Full Frame Pentax!!!!!!!

Mongoose
Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:16 Link
K10D wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
I'm just thinking that as the sensor is larger to start with, if you have a 18PM FF camera then with the extra megapixels you can crop it to give the same effective length as a 1.5 crop 12MP APS-C at its largest.
I hate to be the one to urinate on the meat grilling aparatus, but acording to my calculations a FF sensor with the same pixel pitch as the K7 would have to be ~32MP.

Area goes like the linear dimension squared.

On the plus side, lower pixel pitch means better noise characteristics, but you are going to need to project a larger image if you want to get the same result as we currently enjoy on APS-C. Larger image = longer focal length.

I'm much too lazy (not to mention poor) to lug a 450mm F2.8 lens around with me, so I'll stick with my APS-C DSLR thanks.
32MP is a wee bit high, the 12MP FF seems to work fine, even as JPEG.
link

You can view in full size, I think?

The focused target size would be no different whether FF or APS-C. A 300mm lens is 300mm regardless of what is behind it.

Do you only refer to FOV in respect of 450 on a FF?

Regards
It's a very nicely taken photo, but the central 2/3 of it would not be equivalent to a shot from a K7 taken with the same lens.

12.1/2.25 = 5.3

an APS-C crop from a D700 is slightly lower resolution than a full size shot from a *istD.

Will it print at A3 and look fantastic? Almost certainly. Can it match a K7 for resolution? No.

The D700 is a fantastic piece of kit and has very good qualities when paired with the right lenses, but to get the most out of it you have to use lenses 1.5x longer than you do with an APS-C based camera. Whether that's a good or bad thing is entirely dependant on your circumstances and what you're trying to shoot, but the truth of it is irrefutable.



I don't actually think a 32MP FF camera would be a good idea, if I were to buy one I'd much rather have a ~20MP model and use longer lenses. It would be the larger well depth leading to better dynamic range and noise performance which would make me want one. However, my mathematics is correct, if you want a central crop to be exactly equivalent to a K7 shot, it has to be a 32MP sensor.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help
K10D
Posted 26/01/2010 - 10:31 Link
I totally accept all comments on this thread.

The differences between FOV, magnification, resolution and DOF will continue to allow people to discuss them for many years to come.

Regards
Too far from a shore.
petemasty
Posted 28/01/2010 - 14:39 Link
Been away in Manchester these past few days. Just got back and found 7 pages to my initial post. Glad to started a debate.
Pete M
My Flickr
bretbysteve
Posted 29/01/2010 - 20:26 Link
"I read recently that Pentax are looking to bring out a full-frame DSLR this year"

....correct me if I am wrong, but surely a full frame Pentax would need some Pentax full frame lenses to use on it.....
Hyram
Posted 29/01/2010 - 20:29 Link
petemasty wrote:
.............Just got back and found 7 pages to my initial post.............
Where did you read the information that trggered your initial post :
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo