Full frame or not ???
Posted 08/08/2015 - 20:50
Link
What it'll mean for me, Nigel, is something wonderful and aspirational, something to desire and dream of, although, of course, ultimately out of reach.
I like living in a world with great stuff like Georgian manor houses, Ferraris, Velocettes, Rolex watches; things which are unobtainable for most, but without which life would be very dull and colourless.
I like living in a world with great stuff like Georgian manor houses, Ferraris, Velocettes, Rolex watches; things which are unobtainable for most, but without which life would be very dull and colourless.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 08/08/2015 - 21:32
Link
Thank you! You have broadened my world ...I had never heard of a Vellocette before. Now I've got one more thing to aspire to. Lets hope someone makes a designer pannier bag to fit a Pentax Full Frame camera in !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 16/08/2015 - 18:02
Link
I have the Sigma 120-400 in Sony fit and I have to say the Pentax 55-300 WR is miles sharper and lighter. I also have a Tamron SP 70-300 (Sony fit) that easily beats the Sigma. So unless you REALLY need that extra 100mm I would get the Pentax 55-300.
Posted 16/08/2015 - 19:03
Link
Quote:
the Pentax 55-300 WR is miles sharper and lighter
Lighter, but not sharper.the Pentax 55-300 WR is miles sharper and lighter
It's been this way for decades (many decades) with lenses. You get what you pay for in lenses. Minus advances in certain materials, one simply cannot make a lens lighter or smaller. If one wants aperture or optics, then size and weight will become a secondary issue.
Simply take a look at the bet glass for Nikon, Canon, Leica, and even Hasselblad for very clear examples of proven physics.
Posted 16/08/2015 - 20:50
Link
I don't see why the Pentax 55-300mm couldn't be lighter and sharper than the Sigma 120-400mm. It depends on various factors, including maximum aperture and construction quality and in any event a 400mm is going to have to be a larger heavier beast. It doesn't make it any better.
Pentax used to make lighter, sharper versions of longer telephoto lenses, such as a 400mm f/5.6 which was considerably lighter than the f/2.8 version. And quite possibly sharper.
Pentax used to make lighter, sharper versions of longer telephoto lenses, such as a 400mm f/5.6 which was considerably lighter than the f/2.8 version. And quite possibly sharper.
Best regards, John
Posted 16/08/2015 - 22:54
Link
All I can say is that when I compare the pictures from the Sony A77M2 / Sigma 120-400 and the K-3 / Pentax 55-300 the first thought that crosses my mind is how much could I sell the Sigma for. The output from the K-3 / 55-300 is VERY obviously sharper. The A77M2 also produces much better quality with the Tamron 70-300.
I've just come back to Pentax after bagging K-3 in a recent Amazon sale (had a K10 & K20 previously) and I'm deeply impressed. The k-3 is such a great handling camera and feels like a MUCH more expensive camera in the hand.
I've just come back to Pentax after bagging K-3 in a recent Amazon sale (had a K10 & K20 previously) and I'm deeply impressed. The k-3 is such a great handling camera and feels like a MUCH more expensive camera in the hand.
50mpCMOS wrote:
It's been this way for decades (many decades) with lenses. You get what you pay for in lenses. Minus advances in certain materials, one simply cannot make a lens lighter or smaller. If one wants aperture or optics, then size and weight will become a secondary issue.
Simply take a look at the bet glass for Nikon, Canon, Leica, and even Hasselblad for very clear examples of proven physics.
Quote:
the Pentax 55-300 WR is miles sharper and lighter
Lighter, but not sharper.the Pentax 55-300 WR is miles sharper and lighter
It's been this way for decades (many decades) with lenses. You get what you pay for in lenses. Minus advances in certain materials, one simply cannot make a lens lighter or smaller. If one wants aperture or optics, then size and weight will become a secondary issue.
Simply take a look at the bet glass for Nikon, Canon, Leica, and even Hasselblad for very clear examples of proven physics.
Posted 17/08/2015 - 11:40
Link
With any long lens sharpness depends quite a lot on how steady you can hold it. A lighter lens is easier to hold steady so often it will be better than a heavier lens.
I once tried a 2x TC on a tripod mounted Sigma 150-500mm and even on a heavy tripod with a Novoflex B&S head couldn't hold it steady enough. I put a Novoflex GAKO Forked Joint Long Telephoto Lens Support on another tripod near the front of the lens and the results were about 10x better Obviously only usable for static subjects.
One on ebay.....
The 55-300mm is excellent and easy to handhold even at 1/300th sec.
--
I once tried a 2x TC on a tripod mounted Sigma 150-500mm and even on a heavy tripod with a Novoflex B&S head couldn't hold it steady enough. I put a Novoflex GAKO Forked Joint Long Telephoto Lens Support on another tripod near the front of the lens and the results were about 10x better Obviously only usable for static subjects.
One on ebay.....
The 55-300mm is excellent and easy to handhold even at 1/300th sec.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


5986 posts
14 years
Surrey,
England
It should also impact on the market for high quality aps-c items ... Is it not fair to suggest that aps-c lenses and the top camera bodies will come to represent an even greater bargain than at present?
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver