Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Full Frame getting closer ?

johnriley
Posted 04/02/2013 - 18:47 Link
Samsung made the sensors for Pentax DSLRs for a while. There are other manufacturers. Toshiba? Kodak (as was, now another company).

Senosr manufacturers will make APS-C sensors as long as there's an economical demand.

After all, even valves are still made.
Best regards, John
sussexwolf
Posted 04/02/2013 - 22:43 Link
Pentax is certainly upping it's game. It was late coming to the digital SLR and the lens range was tiny and not of the quality or range that other manufacturers were offering. If it was not for the Pentax legacy kit that I have I probably would be using a Canon or a Nikon camera.

Now it is a different story. The camera bodies are probably better pound for pound than any of the other manufacturers and the lens range and quality is good enough to keep most enthusiasts happy.

Would a FF see the Pros switching to Pentax? Is there a big enough market? I would like to see Pentax continue to develop and excel in their range of lenses and APS-C sensor cameras
K30, K-x, *ist DL. Pentax 60-250 F4, Sigma 18-125 & 70-300
rparmar
Posted 04/02/2013 - 23:48 Link
sussexwolf wrote:
Would a FF see the Pros switching to Pentax?

No. Pentax doesn't have three things they need:

1. A top-flight support network that can drop ship a replacement unit within 24 hours.

2. A full catalogue of accessories.

3. Top-of-the-range redundancy and technical requirements (dual card slots, better AF tracking, etc.).

It's not professionals who want Pentax to produce a full-frame camera. It's a minority of Pentax fans online. Pros who need full-frame are already using perfectly capable systems from other manufacturers. They cannot afford the luxury of brand obsession.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
cabstar
Posted 05/02/2013 - 08:31 Link
1. I would expect that kind of support when buying a camera over £2k
2. Which accessories are Pentax not making? Or are you referring to third party accesories.
3. Top of the range dual slots etc cost money.

A pro friend of mine shoots Nikon, his D3s has now been with Nikon for four months for repair, they haven't offered him a temporary replacement and can't give him a date when he will get it back either. For the cost of pro membership schemes I would rather not bother and rent a replacement from SRS when needed.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
giofi
Posted 05/02/2013 - 13:00 Link
Mannesty wrote:
I haven't tested my K5-II in anger yet, that comes next Sunday when racing starts again for the 2013 season, but if it focuses as well in poor light as I'm hoping with my Siggy 70-200mm 1:2.8 lens attached, I may not need to buy another body, ever.

Have you found the cure for CBA?
Please share it with me!

I have a friend who had a Nikon D700 and at about this time last year he was telling me how he could not see how he could ever need a camera better than that one, and he would never change it. I asked him again when the D800 was launched and he still kept his position. Well, the next time I asked was after Xmas holidays..... he just traded his D700 for a D800. Of course he can blame it on Santa Claus
Edited by giofi: 05/02/2013 - 13:01
bforbes
Posted 06/02/2013 - 23:28 Link
It's reported on the US forum that, in an interview with Pentax, they have confirmed the development of a full frame camera.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.