FS: SMC Pentax 28mm shift lens.

womble

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 23:15
Bumpity bump macbumpface
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

HarisF1

Link Posted 22/08/2019 - 13:25
Stick in up on eBay and you'll probably get a good price for it. After fees (if you have the £1 FVF deal) it'll still be a good price. PM me if you don't have the £1 offer.

womble

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 07:49
It'll have to wait a while. Not in one place for more than a week for the next month.

Thanks for the offer of help.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

nigelsnape

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 12:26
For the uninitiated such as myself.....I can see how a tilt lens can help control converging verticals but what does a shift lens (without the tilt) do, please?

JAK

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 13:23
Quote:
For the uninitiated such as myself.....I can see how a tilt lens can help control converging verticals but what does a shift lens (without the tilt) do, please

Tilt is used to control the orientation of the plane of focus (PoF), and hence the part of an image that appears sharp; it makes use of the Scheimpflug principle. Shift is used to adjust the position of the subject in the image area without moving the camera back; this is often helpful in avoiding the convergence of parallel lines, as when photographing tall buildings.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt%E2%80%93shift_photography)
Your premise that a tilt lens can help control converging verticals is incorect, this is what a shift lens is for!
Current Pentaxs also allow for sensor shift in liveview which to a limited extent performs a similar function
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 24/08/2019 - 13:34

johnriley

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 13:35
An example of sucj a lens: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-ts-e-90mm-f-2-8l-macro-review-31858

The image samples should give the general idea.
Best regards, John

ronniemac

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 17:09
Watching this and for architectural photography I am very tempted; however I have begun to wonder what the lens achieves with respect to correcting converging verticals in digital photography which can't be achieved in post processing with , e.g., Lightroom?
Last Edited by ronniemac on 27/08/2019 - 17:10

pschlute

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 17:32
ronniemac wrote:
Watching this and for architectural photography I am very tempted; however I have begun to wonder what the lens achieves with respect to correcting converging verticals in digital photography which can't be achieved in post processing with , e.g., Lightroom?

I am no expert in this field, but you lose parts of the image when you pp a picture to correct verticals. Plus there will be a degree of degradation due to the fact that the pixels have all been shifted around.
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 28/08/2019 - 18:34
And I'd rather do it in the field than spend yet more time in front of my laptop....

Also, the process of using it (on a tripod, using the levels etc.) generally assures a good quality image. It's also really good for stitching as the images arent rotated around a pivot point.
Kris Lockyear

My website

HarisF1

Link Posted 28/08/2019 - 18:46
It's pretty fun to use too - feel like a proper tog when you're fiddling with it. Just remember to try and get the exposures to line up (easier said than done) and it leads to some very grand images.

These are based on medium format lenses from what I've seen, so you can easily produce a very large and wide MF equivalent image by shifting the lens around the centre point.

JAK

Link Posted 29/08/2019 - 17:40
HarisF1 wrote:
It's pretty fun to use too - feel like a proper tog when you're fiddling with it. Just remember to try and get the exposures to line up (easier said than done) and it leads to some very grand images.

It's surprising how forgiving the panorama facility in Elements is for sortng out any exposure differences (taking raw helps.)
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.