Front/back focus; lens v.s. camera
Posted 18/08/2008 - 17:02
Link
I can assure you the lens does make a difference. When I tested my lenses on my K10D, I had some front focussing, some back focussing, and only one needed no adjustment.
Actually, that one lens does need adjustment, but it needs two. My DA* 50-135mm lens BF's at 50mm, and FF's at 135mm. Go figure . . . 'cause I can't.
FWIW: I've had to make a +40um adjustment to get acceptable results from all of my lenses.
I wish I could do the same for my *istD but it's debug mode lacks these adjustments.
Actually, that one lens does need adjustment, but it needs two. My DA* 50-135mm lens BF's at 50mm, and FF's at 135mm. Go figure . . . 'cause I can't.
FWIW: I've had to make a +40um adjustment to get acceptable results from all of my lenses.
I wish I could do the same for my *istD but it's debug mode lacks these adjustments.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 18/08/2008 - 17:41
Link
Oh, I trust ya. There has been enough talk about lens being an issue.
But how?
I just see the camera adjusting the lens to focus until a single point becomes sharp regardless of how long it takes for the lens to shift and settle into a good spot where the edge contrast is acceptable.
There is obviously something I'm missing?
Probably more hypothetical than anything else, but I just have trouble sleeping at night not knowing these important details.
But how?
I just see the camera adjusting the lens to focus until a single point becomes sharp regardless of how long it takes for the lens to shift and settle into a good spot where the edge contrast is acceptable.
There is obviously something I'm missing?
Probably more hypothetical than anything else, but I just have trouble sleeping at night not knowing these important details.
Posted 18/08/2008 - 18:12
Link
amoringello wrote:
but I just have trouble sleeping at night not knowing these important details.
Me too.but I just have trouble sleeping at night not knowing these important details.
Given that even the virtually omniscient Matt doesn't know for sure, it's a worry.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 18/08/2008 - 18:13
Link
Same thing puzzles me Amoringello. And your reasoning is the same as mine. So, if anyone can elucidate, it would be most appreciated.
Dan
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 20/08/2008 - 14:41
Link
Mannesty wrote:
Actually, that one lens does need adjustment, but it needs two. My DA* 50-135mm lens BF's at 50mm, and FF's at 135mm. Go figure . . . 'cause I can't.
I've come across this phenomenon before with a Canon 28-105mm lens - it backfocused very slightly at the wide end, but front focused considerably at 105mm.Actually, that one lens does need adjustment, but it needs two. My DA* 50-135mm lens BF's at 50mm, and FF's at 135mm. Go figure . . . 'cause I can't.
Jonathan
EDIT: Typo
Posted 20/08/2008 - 19:18
Link
Hey lads, lots of big words being used on this thread topic, got to go now and find the dictionary
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
Posted 21/08/2008 - 03:20
Link
kerrowdown wrote:
Hey lads, lots of big words being used on this thread topic, got to go now and find the dictionary
And George hasn't even posted yet But i'm sure you won't find many of his words an any dictionary Hey lads, lots of big words being used on this thread topic, got to go now and find the dictionary
Amoringello: What sort of price are you looking at for the 55-300 over there.:
Im looking at getting one but they are quite scarce over here and expensive AU$600.
I was looking to the US for one.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 21/08/2008 - 12:20
Link
The 55-300 is running about $400 here. Not a bad price as the lens seems to be getting decent reviews for the most part.
Posted 21/08/2008 - 12:28
Link
amoringello wrote:
The 55-300 is running about $400 here. Not a bad price as the lens seems to be getting decent reviews for the most part.
Just had a look at B&H and they have it for US$359 + $41 postage. But they don't accept pay-pal from Aussies : but they will accept mastercard if i send them a pic of my card front and back Not sure i would want to do that though.
The 55-300 is running about $400 here. Not a bad price as the lens seems to be getting decent reviews for the most part.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 21/08/2008 - 12:36
Link
Clarky wrote:
but they will accept mastercard if i send them a pic of my card front and back Not sure i would want to do that though.
You have to give them all the same details though, don't you?but they will accept mastercard if i send them a pic of my card front and back Not sure i would want to do that though.
Or is it one of these customisable cards with a particularly unattractive picture of you on it?
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 21/08/2008 - 13:01
Link
ChrisA wrote:
Or is it one of these customisable cards with a particularly unattractive picture of you on it?
I wasn't the winner of the Tom Cruise look-a-like competition for nothing you know Clarky wrote:
but they will accept mastercard if i send them a pic of my card front and back Not sure i would want to do that though.
You have to give them all the same details though, don't you?but they will accept mastercard if i send them a pic of my card front and back Not sure i would want to do that though.
Or is it one of these customisable cards with a particularly unattractive picture of you on it?
I guess your right Chris but it still concerns me that they will have a pic of my signature on my mastercard in there possession for as long as they want to keep it. A little disconcerting thats all.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 21/08/2008 - 13:03
Link
Clarky wrote:
but it still concerns me that they will have a pic of my signature on my mastercard in there possession for as long as they want to keep it. A little disconcerting thats all.
That's a good point.but it still concerns me that they will have a pic of my signature on my mastercard in there possession for as long as they want to keep it. A little disconcerting thats all.
I imagine they want proof that you physically have the card - see if they'd accept pictures where the signature is partially obscured.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 21/08/2008 - 13:11
Link
I expect they'll look at the quality of the photo and decide if you deserve to own this sought after high quality glass.
Posted 21/08/2008 - 13:18
Link
ChrisA wrote:
I imagine they want proof that you physically have the card - see if they'd accept pictures where the signature is partially obscured.
Good idea i might just obscure it a little anyway. Whats the worst that can happen, they refuse it. Clarky wrote:
but it still concerns me that they will have a pic of my signature on my mastercard in there possession for as long as they want to keep it. A little disconcerting thats all.
That's a good point.but it still concerns me that they will have a pic of my signature on my mastercard in there possession for as long as they want to keep it. A little disconcerting thats all.
I imagine they want proof that you physically have the card - see if they'd accept pictures where the signature is partially obscured.
Mikew. If thats the case i should get it for nothing
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


967 posts
20 years
Virginia,
USA
I have adjusted my camera in debug mode and it seems to have solved most of my issues. Now I'm looking to get the 55-300 lens but read about some of them possibly having focusing issues.
My confusion comes in how the lens might play a role. As I understand things, the camera is looking for edge contrast to determine where to focus. It makes sense that if the camera is off a bit that the area you're focusing at will not necessarily match precisely with the camera.
But if the lens is off, won't the camera still try its best to attain sharp focus on the specified area? The camera may have to go further forward or backward than with another otherwise identical lens, but still the same spot has only one point at which the edge contrast will be "correct".
Does my question make sense?
What am I missing?
Since the K20D has several auto focus adjustment slots, I would assume there is actually a need but I cannot think of how the lens would make much difference.