From the last week or so....

SSF1957
Posted 21/07/2025 - 05:36 - Helpful Comment Link
A really nice set of images Spad. I do sometimes regret letting my 50-135mm find a new home.

The second image ( with the bright yellow k5 sign) really caught my eye, has a model like quality to it, almost like it should be in a Wallace & Grommit scene.
Lubbyman wrote:
Looks like you're getting the hang of this terrestrial photography thing .

Steve
Could not agree more
Stephen

645Z, K1, K1ii, K3iii + mono, K3ii, K3,KP, K-S1, K200D,K10D, K-r, Ist* DL, Ist* D, QS-1 plus too many film bodies !
Flickr Page
Photocrowd Page
SSF1957
Posted 21/07/2025 - 05:54 - Helpful Comment Link
SSF1957 wrote:

The second image ( with the bright yellow k5 sign) really caught my eye, has a model like quality to it, almost like it should be in a Wallace & Grommit scene.
Should of said that it has the look of an image taken with a shift lens
Spad
Posted 21/07/2025 - 14:49 Link
SSF1957 wrote:
SSF1957 wrote:

The second image ( with the bright yellow k5 sign) really caught my eye, has a model like quality to it, almost like it should be in a Wallace & Grommit scene.
Should of said that it has the look of an image taken with a shift lens
Ive never seen a shift lens let alone used one!
SSF1957
Posted 21/07/2025 - 17:14 Link
Spad wrote:
SSF1957 wrote:
SSF1957 wrote:

The second image ( with the bright yellow k5 sign) really caught my eye, has a model like quality to it, almost like it should be in a Wallace & Grommit scene.
Should of said that it has the look of an image taken with a shift lens
Ive never seen a shift lens let alone used one!
Yet more photographic marvels for you to experience then

Pictures below show my Pentax Shift lens in all its glory (including at full shift) - Much less confusing than Astro!

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Stephen

645Z, K1, K1ii, K3iii + mono, K3ii, K3,KP, K-S1, K200D,K10D, K-r, Ist* DL, Ist* D, QS-1 plus too many film bodies !
Flickr Page
Photocrowd Page
Spad
Posted 21/07/2025 - 17:29 Link
So what is the idea behind that then?
SSF1957
Posted 23/07/2025 - 18:25 Link
Spad wrote:
So what is the idea behind that then?
Sorry about the delay in replying

Shift lenses allow you to change the perspective of an image, like eliminating converging vertical of horizontal lines in architectural images. Before you say it, yes you can do these things in post with most decent software, however, when you do that it results in a crop of the image which may well ruin the view / effect you were looking for.

Most large format or field cameras allow you to tilt and shift the lens.

You can use a shift lens in landscape to create a multi shot panorama without the need to change the cameras angle of view, just move the lens in relation to the focal plane.

It is just one of those quirky lenses that has always fascinated me. I did have the Samyang (15mm?) tilt / shift for a while but other than play I didn't really use it. The Pentax is a more useful focal length for me (28mm) and like a lot of their lenses from the early days of K mount is just beautifully engineered
Stephen

645Z, K1, K1ii, K3iii + mono, K3ii, K3,KP, K-S1, K200D,K10D, K-r, Ist* DL, Ist* D, QS-1 plus too many film bodies !
Flickr Page
Photocrowd Page
Lubbyman
Posted 23/07/2025 - 19:27 Link
SSF1957 wrote:

Shift lenses allow you to change the perspective of an image, like eliminating converging vertical of horizontal lines in architectural images. Before you say it, yes you can do these things in post with most decent software
And the K3 series can do some shift (called Composition Adjustment) in live view by shifting the sensor relative to the lens - same effect as using a shift lens to shift the lens relative to the sensor. You can, of course, see the effect of the shift before pressing the shutter button.

Steve
Spad
Posted 24/07/2025 - 22:22 Link
SSF1957 wrote:
Spad wrote:
So what is the idea behind that then?
Sorry about the delay in replying

Shift lenses allow you to change the perspective of an image, like eliminating converging vertical of horizontal lines in architectural images. Before you say it, yes you can do these things in post with most decent software, however, when you do that it results in a crop of the image which may well ruin the view / effect you were looking for.

Most large format or field cameras allow you to tilt and shift the lens.

You can use a shift lens in landscape to create a multi shot panorama without the need to change the cameras angle of view, just move the lens in relation to the focal plane.

It is just one of those quirky lenses that has always fascinated me. I did have the Samyang (15mm?) tilt / shift for a while but other than play I didn't really use it. The Pentax is a more useful focal length for me (28mm) and like a lot of their lenses from the early days of K mount is just beautifully engineered
Aaaahhhhh I have heard about that! I even attended a talk on it 30 odd years ago.... never knew there was a lens for ir.

Lubbyman wrote:
SSF1957 wrote:

Shift lenses allow you to change the perspective of an image, like eliminating converging vertical of horizontal lines in architectural images. Before you say it, yes you can do these things in post with most decent software
And the K3 series can do some shift (called Composition Adjustment) in live view by shifting the sensor relative to the lens - same effect as using a shift lens to shift the lens relative to the sensor. You can, of course, see the effect of the shift before pressing the shutter button.

Steve
Yes I have seen this but never played with it. I usually use hyperwides because i like the effect
HarisF1
Posted 26/07/2025 - 19:23 Link
Too add something to this - if I was to take a 'realistic' image with what I can see with my own eyes...

You'd think it's one of those fancy bokeh shots. That's because I and many people across the Earth have a condition called 'myopia'.

I'm not a fan of overly HDR processed images but I've also been someone who has produced them during my journey as a terrible photographer. It happens.

At the same time, sometimes you just catch the light in its magical phase and get the most ridiculous looking shades.
All the gear with no idea
Spad
Posted 28/07/2025 - 17:50 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
Too add something to this - if I was to take a 'realistic' image with what I can see with my own eyes...

You'd think it's one of those fancy bokeh shots. That's because I and many people across the Earth have a condition called 'myopia'.

I'm not a fan of overly HDR processed images but I've also been someone who has produced them during my journey as a terrible photographer. It happens.

At the same time, sometimes you just catch the light in its magical phase and get the most ridiculous looking shades.
I try and be very subtle with HDR merging. Its off putting when you push it to far.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo