Fortnightly Competition #31 - Juxtaposition

womble

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 10:40
Lilly wrote:
blimey is snowing that bad there in herts?

The bus hasn't been up my lane since last Thursday. I have been fortunate that my upstairs neighbour has a 4x4 (I never thought I'd ever say those words!). As I rely on a motorbike for transport life has been a little difficult lately. I must get myself a Ural as a back-up (Russian copy of a prewar BMW with a side-car, additional side-car wheel drive and a reverse gear) as they were pretty much designed to cope with these conditions.

Be thankful you are in India!

Merry Christmas, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

mikew

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 10:46
I didn't know the ural had that additional driven wheel. Clever stuff. Rather a nice design to the whole outfit as well. They were quite well thought of in their day I believe.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

womble

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 10:52
The sidecar wheel drive is one variant, they don't all have it, just the 'off-road' versions.

The original BMW was highly thought of, the Ural is a bit more variable! You can get modified ones where they have thrown away the Russian engine and replaced it with an old air-cooled BMW flat twin but then you loose the sidecar wheel drive.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

hefty1

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 11:37
Thanks for the considered judging Dr. Mhuni and congratulations to davidtrout - a very worthy winner.

I have to admit I did like Stefan's Hate Mail / Love Letter entry - an excellent idea very well executed!

Merry Christmas everyone and looking forward to the next comp.
Joining the Q

Hyram

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 11:41
Well it looks like 4 New Year's resolutions for Kris :-

1) Buy a Ural
2) Keep the generator
3) Stay on good terms with the upstairs neighbour
4) Enter competitions earlier

Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Last Edited by Hyram on 24/12/2009 - 11:41

Anvh

Link Posted 24/12/2009 - 12:11
Congratulations David and thank you for the great judging and comment Mhuni

Mhuni today we have those kind of fonts in Word so it was a copy paste thing
It did take my time to come up what that idea though, and that in the middle of the night

I still find it very good of you Mhuni to chose between all the photos, there is a lot of diversity here, maybe the most I've seen so far.

I had a bit of a problem with the topic because it was too wide to be honest, a bit more restricting subject might be easier to think an idea for.

hefty1 wrote:
I have to admit I did like Stefan's Hate Mail / Love Letter entry - an excellent idea very well executed!

Thank you Hefty, ripped the idea a bit off, though.
You probably have seen such photos with the dictionary open at the word love and then with a ring in the middle to form a heart, well that's were it came from.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Anvh

Link Posted 16/01/2010 - 12:56
A quick question about my photo, have you seen something like that somewhere else before?

I've submitted the photo to the Dutch forum and there it was said that the idea wasn't original and he had photos so that is a bit disappointing.
I did searched the web for a photo like mine at the time I got the idea but didn't found any although elements in the photo aren't original I couldn't find a similar photo.

I feel like Elisha Gray now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisha_Gray_and_Alexander_Bell_telephone_controversy
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 16/01/2010 - 12:57

Prieni

Link Posted 16/01/2010 - 13:21
Stefan, don't worry about it too much. There are several possibilities:
1. You have seen a similar photo some time ago but forgot about it. It came back to you when you were thinking about this competition but disguised itself as a new idea.
I know it has happened to me before and you only can be convinced about it when you have some means to re-trace when or where you did see it.

2. You had an original idea but someone had it before you (or around the same time). Happens all the time and this is the reason why when you put in for a patent the patent database is thoroughly searched whether there is a patent of that kind in already.

3. The other guy is mistaken. (Have you seen these other photos?)

In any case I don't think it's worth putting effort in following this up. Just move on to the next idea.

And no, I haven't seen an image like that before. That is proof of nothing, though.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

Anvh

Link Posted 16/01/2010 - 13:38
Thank you Prieni I don't worry much, almost nothing is original any more but still the accusing is not fun.
I'll go for option 2, like said I feel like Elisha Gray
Although like said some elements I've seen in other photos before.

Here are the photos
http://www.diabola.org/2009/04/15/a-thousand-words/
http://matt-seago.deviantart.com/art/love-to-hate-76886842

My is also on deviantart and I've looked on that site also, just search for the words hate Love letter or something like that and you won't find one... at least not in the first 10 pages and I tried google as well.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.