Five types of pork

Comment Image

Wild mushroom risotto

Comment Image

Italian sausages and Puy lentils

Comment Image

Back to the kitchen to get on with the slow cooked beef shin in Barolo
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
johnriley
Posted 21/01/2014 - 16:56 Link
Nice, now I'm feeling hungry!
Best regards, John
vic cross
Posted 21/01/2014 - 17:41 Link
I've been eating very much the same for the last 2 weeks on a nice ship in the Caribbean. 1 or 2 nice pic's but mostly just holiday "HAPPYSNAPS" I went on as a passenger and came off as freight and now must loose some weight. Who cooked yours Ken? OR. Are you the chef?
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Pentaxophile
Posted 21/01/2014 - 18:34 Link
Looks delicious (and pretty healthy).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
gartmore
Posted 21/01/2014 - 19:29 Link
Thanks for your comments, I can't do anything about the background/ tables they are the restaurant owners very expensive pride and joy! But I know exactly what you mean. As far as I remember they were shot around f8 and are pin sharp corner to corner but restricted Dof is currently fashionable in food and this was created using PS lens blur filter on a graduated layer.

Red highlight in the first? Rare meat?

I can't see any weird reflections in the last one.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 21/01/2014 - 19:31
tyronet2000
Posted 22/01/2014 - 13:48 Link
Sorry but to me #3 looks like something from the front opening of a cat and #4 looks like something from the rear opening of a dog. Nevertheless, well photographed
Were they prepared by the Chef who does the meals for the Bush Tucker trials on IACGMOOH
Regards
Stan

PPG
CMW
Posted 22/01/2014 - 14:13 Link
Food photography has always struck me as a difficult undertaking, partly because we've become conditioned to seeing it treated with various 'tricks' by photographers to make it look more vibrant and 'glossy' than it ever could be in reality. E.g. that piece of bacon(?) in the second shot looks most unappetizing, even though I doubt a customer would look askance at it were it on the table. Ditto, as mentioned above, the garnish, which looks as though it's hiding its face in shame.

There is in other words usually a gap between what we see and what we get. These photographs are more honest than most.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
gartmore
Posted 22/01/2014 - 18:21 Link
L
tyronet2000 wrote:
Sorry but to me #3 looks like something from the front opening of a cat and #4 looks like something from the rear opening of a dog. Nevertheless, well photographed
Were they prepared by the Chef who does the meals for the Bush Tucker trials on IACGMOOH

I was planning on inviting you for dinner but no chance now!
Ken
Gwyn
Posted 22/01/2014 - 19:07 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
#4 looks like something from the rear opening of a dog. Nevertheless, well photographed

It looks like my dinner tonight actually. Except for the olive oil and the twig on the top.

It is a shame about the granite top, it does distract from the food, but not a lot you could do about that it seems. The greenery needed to be super fresh, not rather sad looking, but otherwise it all looks very appetising.

Food photography is really tricky, especially if using real food. For magazines and the like I believe they often use fake or cold food, and of course red lights to make the meat look more appetising.

I tried taking some photos for my soon to be ex daughter-in-law, but found it really difficult. She used her own line drawings in the end .
gartmore
Posted 22/01/2014 - 19:36 Link
Biggest problem I had, I was shooting in the restaurant at night, was getting the light levels low enough. Bowens heads as far away as I could place them, key light with a soft light reflector ( beauty dish ) and fill in a soft box, were putting out f8 or so on 1/32 power. Pressure was on with plates coming out of the kitchen quickly before the next service.
Ken
gartmore
Posted 22/01/2014 - 20:15 Link
Not possible Gareth, squeezed in between lunch and dinner, its a busy popular restaurant for twelve hours every day.
Ken
Smeggypants
Posted 22/01/2014 - 22:09 Link
My overall impression is that the images could be a little bit warmer. The lighting is all too bright and cold to convey a nice restaurant environment.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 22/01/2014 - 22:22 Link
An example of what I mean

gartmore wrote:
Pigeon breast with black pudding

Comment Image

Comment Image

Quote:

Comment Image

Comment Image
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
gartmore
Posted 23/01/2014 - 16:22 Link
I'll meet you halfway on that!

Why do you think they look the way I want on my PC and murky and brown on my iPad? Everything else looks fine
Ken
Gravelrash
Posted 23/01/2014 - 17:37 Link
I like the pics and would expect your customer to be pleased but there's no saving that sausage dish
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.