Focusing screen shims for K-3

Jonathan-Mac
Posted 13/12/2024 - 16:36 Link
Hi everyone, I've recently been able to buy a used (but seems new) Katzeye focusing screen with split prism for my K-3 and would love to be able to make manual focusing as easy as it is on my Katzeye-equipped K200D. Unfortunately, with the screen fitted with no shims it focuses slightly too close to the camera. There was one valid shim included but it won't fit on the underside of the screen, only on top (where it makes the problem worse) so I think it's just too thick. There were a few thinner shims provided but they are too wide and must be for a different camera.

Does anyone know where I could get some K-3 shims? I remember many years ago I bought in the UK a set of shims for the K200D for around 30 quid but I think Pentax stopped selling them directly to consumers some years ago. I've looked online and not found anything.

I have read of people using sellotape, which is not a route I want to go down. I could conceivably cut down the shims that are slightly too wide but that seems like it would be very fiddly indeed and would make them even trickier to fit. I could look for the shims for the old K200D but the focusing screens are different so I imagine the shims will also be the wrong size.

Thanks for any help provided.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
rick
Posted 13/12/2024 - 18:25 Link
Might be worth asking Asahi Photo may be it's something Peter could help in sourcing.

Tipping the shape is a roughly a empty rectangle like this?

Comment Image

Potentially it could be a DIY job using thin aluminum from something like a drinks can, it's feasible to cut thin aluminum with a craft knife and steel rule (or even scissors for the outside), but watch your fingers!

I guess an alternative to aluminum would be plastic, they'd be lots of choices of thickness in various packaging.
Adapting Pentax-M Series Lenses
Edited by rick: 14/12/2024 - 09:13
davidwozhere
Posted 13/12/2024 - 23:44 Link
Rail modelling shops offer plastic card in a range of thicknesses.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Aitch53
Posted 15/12/2024 - 16:48 Link
Or, if you want to go all hi-tech, find someone with a 3-d printer, give 'em the measurements and there you are.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Edited by Aitch53: 15/12/2024 - 16:48
davidwozhere
Posted 16/12/2024 - 00:28 Link
There are lots of things that can be done with 3D printers but I for one wouldn't have a clue how to specify my desires to the operator of one.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 16/12/2024 - 13:55 Link
Thanks for the responses so far. I doubt that a 3D printer could print something so fine as a focusing shim. I would consider DIY solutions as a last resort. The single thicker shim that I do have could serve as a template though it wouldn't be fun working with a craft knife on something so fine.

My K200D shims came from one of the UK official repairers at the time but I don't seem to have any e-mails about it so I don't know which.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
rick
Posted 17/12/2024 - 08:07 Link
Another possible DIY solution could be wire from a thin paper clip or copper wire from a cable. Bend it to shape using snipe-nosed pliers, solder up the join if needed. You could even adjust the thickness tapping it flat using a hammer on a steel surface.
Adapting Pentax-M Series Lenses
davidwozhere
Posted 17/12/2024 - 22:04 Link
And all this link just to make a tiny shim !
Great bit of artwork, whoever produced it!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 17/12/2024 - 22:06

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo