Focusing Screen for K-r. Any recommendations?
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 23/02/2012 - 00:13
Link
I always wanted a split focussing screen for my Z-1 (I think Beatie? may have made one?). Part of the problem is that they become pointless with the modern 'slow' zoom lenses often offered in kits. Once you get beyond f/4, blackout of at least one half of of the split-image is almost a given.
Posted 23/02/2012 - 00:47
Link
Johnha - according to the Katzeye blurb I read yesterday on their site the blackout problem we all remember from SLR days does not occur with their DSLR screens. Something to do with the different focussing arrangement. I'll have to go back and find the exact info on that.
Better equipment enhances my ability to display my shortcomings.
Posted 23/02/2012 - 00:59
Link
Spaceman - I think you can minimise it, but only by reducing the accuracy of the split-image. If I remember correctly pro SLRs used to offer different screens for different light levels but with reduced focus accuracy (unless I'm mistaking the micro-prism ring around the split-image)?
Posted 23/02/2012 - 01:23
Link
Infrabasse wrote:
I got an EE-S for my K-5 on focusingscreen.com
It's also available for the K-r
"K-r S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame)"
It's a massive improvement over the standard screen for my wider aperture lenses, and manual focusing is much improved.
nb: It's not split, just simple ground glass.
Very helpful post - thanks for that! Which model of screen exactly do you have?I got an EE-S for my K-5 on focusingscreen.com
It's also available for the K-r
"K-r S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame)"
It's a massive improvement over the standard screen for my wider aperture lenses, and manual focusing is much improved.
nb: It's not split, just simple ground glass.
I'm liking the look of their "FSL" screen as it incorporates both a 45degree split image circle and an outer microprism ring
Unfortunately they don't do this style for the K-r, so my choice would be the "EC-A" Canon style centre spot microprism. It would be very handy for enhancing focussing ability methinks.
Here's a link to their visual guide for removing the screen from a K-r :arrow: link
Better equipment enhances my ability to display my shortcomings.
Posted 23/02/2012 - 03:20
Link
These are recut canon ee-s screens.
This is the one I have.
I can't really vouch for the other screens but metering seems to remain fairly accurate with this screen at wide and not so wide apertures.
There was talk of failed center spot focus with split screens earlier. I think this was a confusion, split screens tend to totally mess up spot metering, not focusing.
If you like the FSL then maybe the K3 would suit you. It's not 45° though.
This is the one I have.
I can't really vouch for the other screens but metering seems to remain fairly accurate with this screen at wide and not so wide apertures.
There was talk of failed center spot focus with split screens earlier. I think this was a confusion, split screens tend to totally mess up spot metering, not focusing.
If you like the FSL then maybe the K3 would suit you. It's not 45° though.
Posted 23/02/2012 - 03:39
Link
Infrabasse wrote:
There was talk of failed center spot focus with split screens earlier. I think this was a confusion, split screens tend to totally mess up spot metering, not focusing.
If you like the FSL then maybe the K3 would suit you. It's not 45° though.
I have had a K3 model for my K20D and I have been very happy with it, and i bought the same one for the k-5. it does feel like the split image focusing screen on the old manual focus cameras. I would not hesitate recommending it.There was talk of failed center spot focus with split screens earlier. I think this was a confusion, split screens tend to totally mess up spot metering, not focusing.
If you like the FSL then maybe the K3 would suit you. It's not 45° though.
It is correct that spot metering does not work with it, I think this is true of all split image screens. I have not noticed any impact on focusing.
Hope this helps...
Posted 02/07/2012 - 23:36
Link
link about halfway there is a picture that might give you an idea.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 02/07/2012 - 23:37
Link
I've got one of those cheap Chinese split screens for my K100D Super.Easy to fit and works great - and the auto focus bleep confirms when things are in focus with the split screen focus - helps focus the manual 50mm 1.7 and 135mm 3.5 lens that I have. The microprism ring helps too! Auto focus still works fine but spot exposure does not work correctly with a split screen.
Posted 03/07/2012 - 10:50
Link
Now I didn't even think I could get anything like this, if I don't get on with the magnifying eye cup I will definitely consider on of these.
Do they still retain the red square indicating focus point?
Do they still retain the red square indicating focus point?
Posted 03/07/2012 - 21:09
Link
I still get the red square focusing points - these still work as normal.
Posted 04/07/2012 - 19:37
Link
jemx99 wrote:
I still get the red square focusing points - these still work as normal.
Thanks will keep these at the back of my mind.
I still get the red square focusing points - these still work as normal.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


86 posts
14 years
It's also available for the K-r
"K-r S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame)"
It's a massive improvement over the standard screen for my wider aperture lenses, and manual focusing is much improved.
nb: It's not split, just simple ground glass.