Focus screen tool

gtw

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 06:30
Hi
I need to clean my focus screen on my K200d.
I dont fancy trying this without the propper tool.I have looked on the pentax website but cannot see any reference to it.
Does anyone know where this can be obtained from?
regards

gtw

davex

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 08:00
TBH i usually just give it a wipe with a lenscloth. Does not seem to do any harm. Perhaps more worthy members have better suggestions

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

gartmore

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 08:28
Be very careful and dont touch it if you can avoid doing so, they are very easily damaged, I would use a blower.

To remove it you only need tweesers and a steady hand. Push up the little clip and a frame holding the screen drops down, then carefully lift the screen out by the tab.

The proper tool only comes with a replacement screen and has the advantage of being spring loaded to hold the screen securely.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Anvh

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 10:24
Most of the time it's better to leave it alone, I only very carefully wipe the expose bottom of it but besides that I do nothing.
Have heard horror stories here about it and the screens are quite dust sensitive and soft so when you take them out handle with absolute care.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

ericp

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 11:23
i am having issues with my screen. plenty of dust has entered and a blower has only removed a few specks. Frustrating.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_cypher/

Pentax K10D, 50, 18-55, 28-70, 100, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 18-250, 28-75

jackitec

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 13:04
Throw the blower away I marked both my screens with it, it blows the dust into the back causing more problems.

PeteL

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 13:59
I clean mine with a sensor cleaning swab, Not a new one just one that has already been used for cleaning a sensor but otherwise usable for jobs like that.
I also have a home made vacuum, I use a small compressor but a cheap electric tyre inflator will do. I bought a piece of 1/4 in bore plastic tubing and a plastic T piece connector, Cut about 1 mtr to attach to the compressor/inflator outlet to the T piece, one 50mm piece is attached to the T directly in line with the first and finally a 200mm piece to the bottom of the T which becomes the suction part of the vacuum.

Regards = Pete.
Last Edited by PeteL on 29/10/2009 - 14:00

gartmore

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 14:47
jackitec wrote:
Throw the blower away I marked both my screens with it, it blows the dust into the back causing more problems.

I thought we were talking about removing the screen to clean it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gregmoll

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 16:08
When I've cut old split focusing screens down to size for my K200D I hold the screen by it's sides and wash it with dish washing liquid soap and a soft artist paint brush, rinse and pat not rub dry with lens tissue.

Greg

iceblinker

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 16:30
A blower can do the trick if you are patient and lucky.

Better: An Arctic Butterfly (statically charged brush) can be used to remove dust from focusng screens and pentaprisms. You can do all this without removing the screen - both sides of the screen - if you just flip it down.

I don't know about the K200D, but with *ist DS, K10D, K20D and K-7, any small hard object can be used to release the screen. No special tool required, although spring-loaded tweezers are good if you are removing the screen.
~Pete

jackitec

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 17:51
gartmore wrote:
jackitec wrote:

I thought we were talking about removing the screen to clean it.

I was talking to ericp

cedricd

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 19:21
You can`t be too careful how you clean the screen. Actually you can`t be too careful doing anything in that area. I know it`s difficult but the best way to deal with it is to keep it as clean as possible in the first place. About the only thing that won`t stick to the inside of a camera is a housebrick. After using my K10 on a `scope I had debris on the filter, as I was whisking about moving stuff out of the area with the mirror down I hadn`t noticed the two scratches I had put on the focus screen till the lens was back on. SRS do a nice line in focus screens.

Cedric
Enjoy life

gtw

Link Posted 29/10/2009 - 20:46
Thanks guys for all the advice on Focus screen removal, I shall give it ago without the special tool
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.