Focus Improvement?
Posted 31/07/2010 - 00:04
Link
Advice is one thing - putting it into practice is another. Well done you.
Next step, IMHO, concentrate on improving the quality of light using a diffuser, Cardiff_Gareth () built a simple DIY version earlier this month based on the one described here link. If you want a simpler (partial) solution, try fitting the bottom of a polystrene cup of the 'pop-up' flash, which can, IMHO, give quite pleasing results:
link
Alternatively, use 'off-camera' flash, but still with some sort of diffuser link or take the, very big, plunge and buy a ring flash.
I've just bought one of these of 'fleabay' with the intention of experimenting with dual flash:
link
Arrived very quickly and the quality is not bad for the money. I'm now watching a couple of s/h AF 200Ts for use with it. These have the advantage, apart from being relatively easy to find, of allowing the flash output to be varied (good for controlling flash-duration and modelling effects). Initially I'll use them with extension cables, but if the results are promising I'll buy a remote flash trigger and two recievers.
A lot of experienced macro photographers seem to prefer manual flash. I've started to do the same and its surprising how quickly you learn to make the necessary adjustments to aperture/speed based on the nature of the subject, background and degree of magnification (still mostly 1:1 or less for me at the moment).
Best wishes,
Jon
Next step, IMHO, concentrate on improving the quality of light using a diffuser, Cardiff_Gareth () built a simple DIY version earlier this month based on the one described here link. If you want a simpler (partial) solution, try fitting the bottom of a polystrene cup of the 'pop-up' flash, which can, IMHO, give quite pleasing results:
link
Alternatively, use 'off-camera' flash, but still with some sort of diffuser link or take the, very big, plunge and buy a ring flash.
I've just bought one of these of 'fleabay' with the intention of experimenting with dual flash:
link
Arrived very quickly and the quality is not bad for the money. I'm now watching a couple of s/h AF 200Ts for use with it. These have the advantage, apart from being relatively easy to find, of allowing the flash output to be varied (good for controlling flash-duration and modelling effects). Initially I'll use them with extension cables, but if the results are promising I'll buy a remote flash trigger and two recievers.
A lot of experienced macro photographers seem to prefer manual flash. I've started to do the same and its surprising how quickly you learn to make the necessary adjustments to aperture/speed based on the nature of the subject, background and degree of magnification (still mostly 1:1 or less for me at the moment).
Best wishes,
Jon
Posted 31/07/2010 - 14:07
Link
Thanks, Jon, for the comments & very useful & encouraging advice.
The link pictures I found very helpful & informative.
So...
Where's that plastic cup & that empty cornflakes packet?!
Will keep you posted!
Best regards,
Roger
The link pictures I found very helpful & informative.
So...
Where's that plastic cup & that empty cornflakes packet?!
Will keep you posted!
Best regards,
Roger
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1547 posts
16 years
Wiltshire
With advice & inspiration from PU...
K7, 100 macro, 2x converter, built-in flash.....
Wasp
[IMG]http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af340/rogerhlane/HuntingSpiderhoverflywasp2010-07-30017.jpg[/IMG]
hunting spider with prey
[IMG]http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af340/rogerhlane/HuntingSpiderhoverflywasp2010-07-30011.jpg[/IMG]
Hoverfly
[IMG]http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af340/rogerhlane/HuntingSpiderhoverflywasp2010-07-30015.jpg[/IMG]
Of which, a crop....
[IMG]http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af340/rogerhlane/HuntingSpiderhoverflywasp2010-07-30015crop.jpg[/IMG]
C&C, please, to continue & extend the learning curve!
Coker