Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Flight! - A ten-shot series.

CWyatt
Posted 10/12/2010 - 22:47 Link
Thought I'd post a little series I put together for the last publication of online doco magazine SEA Collectiv.

Whilst street photography normally focuses on human life, there is also a strong tradition of photographing the living creatures which share our urban spaces.

This series, Flight!, was born of both the street photography tradition and a reaction to the abundance of clear, colour nature photography circulating today.

I have preferred to depict common birds, in common human environments, with a view to showing that nature doesn't just exist in pristine or remote environments, but is part of everyday life.

Comment Image

Two Birds, Wellington City, i
Comment Image

Two Birds, Wellington City, ii
Comment Image

Two Birds, Makara Beach
Comment Image

Flight from the water, Wellington
Comment Image

Flight from the street, Wellington
'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera' - Dorothea Lange

My Photography Portfolio

Facebook page
CWyatt
Posted 10/12/2010 - 22:47 Link
Comment Image

Flight from the graveyard, Wellington
Comment Image

Flight from the park, Masterton
Comment Image

Flight under the city, Wellington
Comment Image

Flight over the city, Wellington
Comment Image

Flight from Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon
'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera' - Dorothea Lange

My Photography Portfolio

Facebook page
coker
Posted 10/12/2010 - 22:55 Link
A wonderful set of monochrome images.
Two birds, Makara Beach.
Two birds Wellington City, ii.
Flight under the city, Wellington.

In that order.

Inspirational. Beautiful.

Thanks for letting us see.

Coker.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
womble
Posted 10/12/2010 - 23:29 Link
Yet another great series with "Two Birds, Makara Beach" being the image I'd have very happily hanging on my wall.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
thoughton
Posted 11/12/2010 - 00:39 Link
Excellent set which works very well together. I particularly liked Two Birds, Wellington City, i, and Two Birds, Makara Beach.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
bwlchmawr
Posted 11/12/2010 - 20:54 Link
Goodness, what a skilfully photographed set. They work really nicely together. If I had a favourite it may be the first one which is very cleverly conceived.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
mowog
Posted 11/12/2010 - 21:19 Link
All fantastic! - The first one, extra specially, so.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
CWyatt
Posted 18/12/2010 - 00:55 Link
Thanks for the thoughts on these guys.

My Photography Portfolio

Facebook page
cabstar
Posted 18/12/2010 - 09:48 Link
I like the idea of split contrasts with the first few images, must have taken a long time to get the birds in view.

Flight under the city is my favourite though, has a cinematic scale & grandeur even though the underground should be compressing the image it opens the image up, a very clever & thoughtful image. Thanks for sharing.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.