Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Flickr being acquired by SmugMug

SteveLedger
Posted 23/04/2018 - 06:29 Link
Algernon wrote:

If your expecting business from Flickr nobody would deal with you because your obviously an idiot

--

Only idiots would share the wrong URL..

Here's on of my K-50 shots
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4434/36025153980_bd4e42d889_h.jpg
Algernon
Posted 23/04/2018 - 09:14 Link
You can't do that for every single shot or for an album

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/04/2018 - 11:53 Link
You can send a URL to download an entire album.

Flickr isn't really about showing images to clients though is it, it's a repository; if the merger means you can seamlessly add images from your Flickr to your Smugmug portfolio that would be good. I hope they don't have plans to charge users or turn Flickr into something more complicated than it needs to be.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
droopsnoot
Posted 23/04/2018 - 12:16 Link
I largely transferred to using Flickr instead of PB when all the charges turned up for PB whenever that was. I am hoping I don't have to find another host.

I do find it annoying that Flickr is one of those sites that nags me to change browser because the one I've been using for ages is suddenly incompatible (hint to Flickr: it worked before, so redirect me to the "old" version of the site and I'll live without whatever new features you've added that don't work on IE*), and their "funny" notes while waiting for the uploader to load grate a little.

But I'm generally only uploading stuff to share on forums, some of those forums can't have images uploaded directly, so I don't know about portfolios, other people looking at the images, and so on.

(* I know, probably just don't want to support the older site code).
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
jeallen01
Posted 25/04/2018 - 09:22 Link
The subject is now showing up on dpreview
Nothing much new but may be worth keeping an eye on.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Algernon
Posted 25/04/2018 - 10:30 Link
Ha! Ha! It was supposed to have changed it's name to OATH (Oaf! )

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8750021028/verizon-acquires-yahoo-including-flickr

Associated with AOL weren't they the original data harvesters who used to collect pages of info on their clients?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
moonlight
Posted 04/05/2018 - 09:19 Link
How is Flickr working since they've been acquired? Is it still as good as it was or they have already begun to make some changes?
- moonlight
SteveLedger
Posted 04/05/2018 - 09:53 Link
moonlight wrote:
How is Flickr working since they've been acquired? Is it still as good as it was or they have already begun to make some changes?

None that I am aware of and I use it several times a week.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 05/05/2018 - 06:43 Link
As a result of this I gave Smugmug a look yesterday. It's a site I'd heard of but I wasn't aware of exactly what it did until the Flickr acquisition brought it into the limelight. For $3.99 a month (when paying annually) you get unlimited upload space for photos at full quality and it seems to have some advanced sharing options which would make it ideal not just for backing up to the cloud but also to share shots with family and friends.

I've been thinking about cloud backup of my photos for some time and this looks like it may well be the best option.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.