Flash required for theatre work

gartmore

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:12
There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.

I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

robbie_d

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:15
gartmore wrote:
There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.

I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!

That might just give me what I want, cheers Ken.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:31
Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?

Apparently.

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:56
robbie_d wrote:
Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?

Yes it can, you can use any mode with P-TTL wireless besides high-sync, you need one external flash on your camera for that it doesn't work with the pop-up one.

As for cheap manual flashes £45 for a new and powerful one link
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

robbie_d

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:12
Anvh wrote:
robbie_d wrote:

Yes it can, you can use any mode with P-TTL wireless besides high-sync, you need one external flash on your camera for that it doesn't work with the pop-up one.

As for cheap manual flashes £45 for a new and powerful one link

I meant manual mode for the flash (rather than PTTL).

Apparently.

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:20
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.

So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.

I hope that explains it.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Helpful

robbie_d

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:22
Anvh wrote:
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.

So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.

I hope that explains it.

Cheers Stefan, sorry for my misunderstanding!

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 21:47
Anvh wrote:

I hope that explains it.

Does the Metz 48 allow use of wireless manual mode too?

Apparently.

Anvh

Link Posted 01/04/2010 - 12:08
Yes Metz 48 can do the same things and besides that it has a swivelhead which the AF360FGZ doesn't have so that makes it better flash in my book.

The only thing is that the Metz48 can not act as a master wireless unit so it can not send "orders" to other flashes but it works fully as a slave.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 01/04/2010 - 12:09

robbie_d

Link Posted 04/04/2010 - 16:39
gartmore wrote:

Ken, I've found a few AF280T flashes on the net for a reasonable price. I've also noticed that the AF400FTZ is available for a small premium. Are there any advantages in going for the 400 over the 280?

With regards the rest of the kit following the great advice from yourself and Stefan, and am in the process of ordering a stand, bracket and umbrella from Calumet as well as a Cactus V4 kit from Gadget Infinity. Looking forward to my first steps into flash photography!

Apparently.

Anvh

Link Posted 04/04/2010 - 17:38
here you go http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/TTL/index.html

The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400

You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 04/04/2010 - 17:48

robbie_d

Link Posted 04/04/2010 - 17:54
Anvh wrote:
here you go http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/TTL/index.html

The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400

You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.

Hi Stefan, the flash on the page you linked is the 400T, the flash I've seen is the 400FTZ

Apparently.

Anvh

Link Posted 04/04/2010 - 18:19
ah sorry

Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.

Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.

The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

gartmore

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:15
Anvh wrote:
ah sorry

Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.

Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.

The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.

I have the 280, 400t and 400ftz.

the 280 is compact and reasonably powerful and cheap, designed for manual focus cameras

The 400t is a large, powerful, hammerhead flash which can be mounted directly to a lighting stand. It will not fit the bracket you have ordered. It is a great piece of versatile equipment - I have two of them. When running on the very hard to find mains unit it can keep up with a motor drive and running on a Quantum battery pack recycles in 1/3 sec.

I have a 400FTZ, quite powerful for its size with a manual zoom head but 35mm equivalent focal length markings. It has near IR focus assist for low light levels. It is so long since I have used it and never on the K20, that I'll have to dig it out and try it before I can give any recommendations.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 05/04/2010 - 10:16

robbie_d

Link Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:53
Cheers Ken,

It was the 400FTZ (rather than the 'T' - which is a bit of a beast!) that I'd seen.

The only thing stopping me buying either one of these straight away is the amount of control over flash output in manual control.

Having read through the Lighting 101 on the Strobist blog, one of the things they seem to hold in high regard is manual power control. Both the 280T and 400FTZ are fairly limited in this respect I think (Full power and one other setting each according to B Dimitrov).

In practice would I be better going for something like the YongNuo?

What do you think?

Apparently.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.