Flash required for theatre work
Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:15
Link
gartmore wrote:
There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.
I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
That might just give me what I want, cheers Ken.
There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.
I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:31
Link
Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:56
Link
robbie_d wrote:
Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?
Yes it can, you can use any mode with P-TTL wireless besides high-sync, you need one external flash on your camera for that it doesn't work with the pop-up one.Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?
As for cheap manual flashes £45 for a new and powerful one link
Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:12
Link
Anvh wrote:
As for cheap manual flashes £45 for a new and powerful one link
I meant manual mode for the flash (rather than PTTL).
robbie_d wrote:
Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?
Yes it can, you can use any mode with P-TTL wireless besides high-sync, you need one external flash on your camera for that it doesn't work with the pop-up one.Out of interest, and still on-topic, I've read about the Pentax AF 360 flash and how it can be used wirelessly in P-TTL mode. Can it also be used wirelessly in Manual mode?
As for cheap manual flashes £45 for a new and powerful one link
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:20 - Helpful Comment
Link
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:22
Link
Anvh wrote:
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
Cheers Stefan, sorry for my misunderstanding!
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 31/03/2010 - 21:47
Link
Anvh wrote:
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
Does the Metz 48 allow use of wireless manual mode too?
Yes it's called P-TTL wireless I think because it can use P-TTL but besides that you can use AUTO and Manual flash mode.
You can also set your flash on "dumb" wireless and it simply flash with every flash it sees.
So P-TTL wireless = "smart" wireless it communicates with your body and it only flash when your camera give the signal to flash.
I hope that explains it.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 01/04/2010 - 12:08
Link
Yes Metz 48 can do the same things and besides that it has a swivelhead which the AF360FGZ doesn't have so that makes it better flash in my book.
The only thing is that the Metz48 can not act as a master wireless unit so it can not send "orders" to other flashes but it works fully as a slave.
The only thing is that the Metz48 can not act as a master wireless unit so it can not send "orders" to other flashes but it works fully as a slave.
Posted 04/04/2010 - 16:39
Link
gartmore wrote:
There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.
I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
Ken, I've found a few AF280T flashes on the net for a reasonable price. I've also noticed that the AF400FTZ is available for a small premium. Are there any advantages in going for the 400 over the 280?There will be as least as many opinions on flashguns as there are members here! Any fully manual flash would be fine like the Pentax AF280t, they appear on ebay all the time for around £30. It doesn't support the p-ttl on your camera but would work fine with the camera in manual mode and the flash would take care of the exposure should you ever wish to use it on the hotshoe. A lot cheaper than any of the current models if budget is a consideration.
I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
With regards the rest of the kit following the great advice from yourself and Stefan, and am in the process of ordering a stand, bracket and umbrella from Calumet as well as a Cactus V4 kit from Gadget Infinity. Looking forward to my first steps into flash photography!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 04/04/2010 - 17:38
Link
here you go http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/TTL/index.html
The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400
You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.
The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400
You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.
Posted 04/04/2010 - 17:54
Link
Anvh wrote:
here you go http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/TTL/index.html
The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400
You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.
Hi Stefan, the flash on the page you linked is the 400T, the flash I've seen is the 400FTZ
here you go http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/TTL/index.html
The problem is though I ain't sure it would fit on a stand though the 400
You might want to look at this one link
Someone here on the forum has ordered one and I'm thinking about it as well.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 04/04/2010 - 18:19
Link
ah sorry
Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.
Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.
The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.
Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.
Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.
The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.
Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:15
Link
Anvh wrote:
ah sorry
Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.
Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.
The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.
I have the 280, 400t and 400ftz.ah sorry
Here it is http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/AF/index.html the 280t is on the first link though.
Basically what's important is the guidenumber because that's your flash power and how many steps of manual adjustments you've.
The 280 is the more powerful one if you don't zoom the flash but both seem a bit limited in manual mode but Ken can tell you more about that.
All in all there is not a lot between them beside the zoom function.
the 280 is compact and reasonably powerful and cheap, designed for manual focus cameras
The 400t is a large, powerful, hammerhead flash which can be mounted directly to a lighting stand. It will not fit the bracket you have ordered. It is a great piece of versatile equipment - I have two of them. When running on the very hard to find mains unit it can keep up with a motor drive and running on a Quantum battery pack recycles in 1/3 sec.
I have a 400FTZ, quite powerful for its size with a manual zoom head but 35mm equivalent focal length markings. It has near IR focus assist for low light levels. It is so long since I have used it and never on the K20, that I'll have to dig it out and try it before I can give any recommendations.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 05/04/2010 - 10:53
Link
Cheers Ken,
It was the 400FTZ (rather than the 'T' - which is a bit of a beast!) that I'd seen.
The only thing stopping me buying either one of these straight away is the amount of control over flash output in manual control.
Having read through the Lighting 101 on the Strobist blog, one of the things they seem to hold in high regard is manual power control. Both the 280T and 400FTZ are fairly limited in this respect I think (Full power and one other setting each according to B Dimitrov).
In practice would I be better going for something like the YongNuo?
What do you think?
It was the 400FTZ (rather than the 'T' - which is a bit of a beast!) that I'd seen.
The only thing stopping me buying either one of these straight away is the amount of control over flash output in manual control.
Having read through the Lighting 101 on the Strobist blog, one of the things they seem to hold in high regard is manual power control. Both the 280T and 400FTZ are fairly limited in this respect I think (Full power and one other setting each according to B Dimitrov).
In practice would I be better going for something like the YongNuo?
What do you think?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



6724 posts
20 years
Glasgow,
Scotland
I have shot on an empty opera house stage (matt black walls and floor) lit by a couple of fluorescents up in the fly loft. You can get way with it at 1600 ISO if you want gritty B+W!
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -