Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Flash on ist DS

louis
Posted 08/09/2005 - 11:32 Link
Below is an extract from an email I have sent to Pentax UK. Pending their reply, any thoughts on whether I am doing something to cause this, or whether it sound like a warranty issue?

Many thanks for any views.
Louis

"I believe that there is a problem with the flash. Irrespective of which setting the flash is set to (except "off"), when the flash pops up automatically or manually, the flash automatically discharges a burst similar to the red-eye burst the moment the shutter release button is depressed to the half-way point. The flash responds this way whatever setting it is put to. There is nothing in the Troubleshooter section in the manual about this, and none of the other settings seem to control it."
Kimbo
Posted 08/09/2005 - 11:52 Link
I don't have my DL manual to hand, but I believe it fires a burst of flash under low light conditions, as an AF illuminator.
I suspect that the DS does the same and perhaps yours is somewhat over-zealous in this respect but if you need to use the fash (except for daylight sync.), it's probably working correctly!

Try switching to single point AF and see if that makes a difference - I'm wondering if the system requires a certain level of brightness across a number of points, when using multi.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
louis
Posted 08/09/2005 - 16:05 Link
Many thanks Kimbo. Pentax haven't replied (yet), but talking to a colleague who has a Minolta 7D, it also seems to be a standard feature for other manufacturers. Never having had AF assist before, I find it a bit odd, and off-putting.

By the way, apologies to all for posting in the "Lenses" section.

Louis

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.