Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

First shoot with my penny pinching strobist set up

Pentaxophile
Posted 29/06/2013 - 15:41 Link
I've been playing with flashes for a while now, and have been buying bits and bobs from ebay. The kit I have so far includes three Minolta AF4000 flashes (costing about 15 each), generic radio controllers from China (brand name - 'Nice'! - again about 15), and a flash stand (I ended up spending more than I would have liked on this as I needed one quickly for a proposed shoot - which ended up being cancelled).

Comment Image

I also have a couple of white umbrellas and a honeycomb grid, again cheapies from ebay.

I had put out an advert for a model simply to help me get used to using this kit, and after a while with no response, I was contacted on Thursday night by a model/actor called Tomasz looking for a shoot the following day. He lives in Nottingham and I was struggling to think of a location, but he said he was interested in shooting in some sort of derelict industrial place.

As luck would have it, I had found just such a place a matter of hours before he contacted me! On Thursday evening I had taken these shots at an old wireworks:

Comment Image

Comment Image

I showed them to Tomasz and he loved the location, and agreed to meet me there the following day.

It turned out he needed to get underwear shots to send out to an agency. Luckily I was so involved in setting up the lights and shot set ups, that I didn't have time to get embarrassed.

I shot with my K10D and Tamron 17-50, and Pentax F 35-105mm. Generally I used two stobes either side, one above and slightly to the front, one a tad lower and slightly to the back. I used a Sony NEX and lens turbo adapter and Pentax K 135/2.5 for available light shots.

I'm very pleased with the shots! A selection are already up on my Smugmug account (see here) & I'll no doubt post some here for C&C from our seasoned studio / flash photographers. But I'll end on one of my favourite shots from the day.

Comment Image
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 29/06/2013 - 15:55
McBrian
Posted 29/06/2013 - 16:30 Link
Cracking set Will, I love the braces shot

I wish I could find a location like that up here but as soon as they become derelict the barbed wire goes up or the bulldozer comes rolloing in
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Edited by McBrian: 29/06/2013 - 16:31
Pentaxophile
Posted 29/06/2013 - 16:56 Link
Thanks Brian! I knew this place from when I was a kid - we used come to collect sweet chestnuts in the woods behind. I couldn't believe you could actually still access the buildings. Some require a bit of work to get into, but others you can just walk right in.

Some interesting graffiti in there:

Comment Image

(That shot was available light, but on the K10D that time.)
Edited by Pentaxophile: 29/06/2013 - 17:00
puma
Posted 29/06/2013 - 20:06 Link
Great shot well taken and great location
PPG link
gwing
Posted 29/06/2013 - 20:24 Link
Great shots - I like them a lot. You have a good eye.
tyronet2000
Posted 29/06/2013 - 20:44 Link
Think you have done the shots very well, on a shoestring too
Regards
Stan

PPG
Pentaxophile
Posted 29/06/2013 - 23:10 Link
Thanks everyone. Shaun - this one's just for you:

Comment Image

davidstorm
Posted 29/06/2013 - 23:14 Link
Excellent Will, that last one is really funny, no doubt more so because of your ironic comment!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
puma
Posted 30/06/2013 - 09:14 Link
LOL great colour pop there will lol
PPG link
tyronet2000
Posted 30/06/2013 - 09:36 Link
Love the colour pop
Regards
Stan

PPG
Blythman
Posted 30/06/2013 - 18:16 Link
Its a fabulous set Will
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Pentaxophile
Posted 05/07/2013 - 02:17 Link
I think Tom decided that last week's shots were just too tame, so requested another shoot this week, bringing along more props and several cans of household paint. I brought some powder paint.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
tyronet2000
Posted 05/07/2013 - 07:20 Link
Did you have a portable shower with you too Think #3 wins it, well done.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Pentaxophile
Posted 05/07/2013 - 16:21 Link
Cheers Stan... we had a woefully inadequate quantity of water and paper towels to clean up

I was envisaging a few bottles of children's poster paint - not this:

Comment Image

I think the colour pop works okay, because he has some of the yellow on his glasses, so your attention is still drawn to the face. If the yellow was just on the wall, I don't think it would work so well.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 05/07/2013 - 16:23
aliengrove
Posted 05/07/2013 - 23:16 Link
Not my sort of thing at all, but I love that last shot.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.