Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

First Outing with the DA300

fritzthedog
Posted 31/12/2014 - 17:47 Link
Spent an enjoyable day at the Washington WWT site on Monday with fellow forum members including Barrie, Alan, David and Neil (thanks for the invite Barrie).

This was the first chance I have had to try out the DA300 that I bought last month.

As I was amongst some very accomplished bird and wildlife photographers, and I am yet to buy the 1.4 TC to compliment the lens, I suspect the others have some much better shots than I.

Anyway - here are a few of mine - which may have some flaws but the first attempt with this lens leads me to believe I am going to enjoy using it

Carl

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
RobL
Posted 31/12/2014 - 18:21 Link
These are really impressive, nice and sharp. Are they cropped?
K10D
Posted 31/12/2014 - 18:21 Link
A good set Carl. You sound as if you were under peer pressure??

Like any new kit, it takes time for you to get the measure of it and nothing above indicates that you will have any issues.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
swarf
Posted 31/12/2014 - 19:28 Link
There are some great results here for your first outing.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
Mike-P
Posted 31/12/2014 - 19:31 Link
May be my laptop but the colours on the firs 5 look a bit strange to me.?

Number 7 would have been a cracker had the focus been slightly sharper on the eyes instead of the chest.
stub
Posted 31/12/2014 - 22:23 Link
What Mike-P said...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
fritzthedog
Posted 01/01/2015 - 08:39 Link
Thanks for your comments

Rob - yes they are all heavily cropped (except the first otter shot).

Mike and Stuart - the colours look a little off on some to me as well but I have not made any colour adjustments to any of these shots. Not sure it is all of the first 5 though:

1. May be a processing issue - this has had the shadows lifted around the Robin's head and levels tweaked as it was heavily shadowed.

2&3 look OK on my monitor - but as some of you know - I am having calibration issues

4. Looks a little muted but somehow feels natural to me

5. Was shot through a chain link fence which probably confused the sensor a bit - I quite like the effect though.

I have tweaked the Robins and Otter - do they look any better now?

1b
Comment Image

4b
Comment Image

5b
Comment Image
MrB
Posted 01/01/2015 - 11:30 Link
A pleasing set Carl.

The new versions of the robins look OK to me. In number 2 the bird (and branch) seems to have a blue tint, and number 5 (still) seems to have a magenta-blue tint to the otter's head and back.

Happy New Year.
Philip
davidstorm
Posted 01/01/2015 - 13:07 Link
A good start with the DA300 Carl, sharpness is not an issue judging by these. I agree with the comments on colour, the WB looks a long way off, there's a lot of blue / magenta tones creeping in for some reason.

Wildlife photography is quite a difficult skill to master if the results are to look professional. For me, one of the biggest areas to be aware of is foregrounds and backgrounds; these can make or break a wildlife shot. I prefer an uncluttered look, best demonstrated in this set by the Otter images. The others have some distractions in the foreground and background; this is not a criticism as I am fully aware these are Carl's first shots with this lens and it is often very difficult to get the birds / animals in the right position!

The colours shouldn't be too much to worry about as this is easily corrected. Good luck with the lens Carl, I'm sure your camera skills will shine through once you've used it a few times.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
fritzthedog
Posted 01/01/2015 - 20:41 Link
davidstorm wrote:
A good start with the DA300 Carl, sharpness is not an issue judging by these. I agree with the comments on colour, the WB looks a long way off, there's a lot of blue / magenta tones creeping in for some reason.
Regards
David

Strange that the WB looks to be a problem - all have had Average WB applied in LR3

Carl

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.