Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

First K20D shot

Lilly
Posted 18/11/2008 - 21:25 Link
OK here goes!
I had a good chance to test it out this weekend, my great-nephew Liam with his daddy celebrating a month on this earth.
Tis not the sort of shooting I really like to do TBH, but... always up for a challenge and it is a challenge!
I set up the wireless flash but found because I couldn't bounce it off the glass conservatory roof, it was too harsh. The best results, were with available light and a reflector.
Maybe its me - but I can't get the same passion about shooting with a flash
Plus, trying with tripod was so restricting, gave that up as well!
Anyway, this is the first one I am more or less happy with, want to give them a choice before I do a print or canvas.
The slight bit of glare on Liam's head is a bother, but not sure really?

So, please tell me your C&C - as I feel I am too close to it now.

cheers Lilly

Comment Image

K20D & 50mm 1.4 ISO200 f/4.5 @ 1/30s
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Edited by Lilly: 18/11/2008 - 21:26
mikew
Posted 18/11/2008 - 22:06 Link
Delightful shot - I wish I had your delicate touch for tones and also your steady hand. I can't shoot anything much at 1/30th any more!

Mike
hefty1
Posted 18/11/2008 - 22:24 Link
Lilly wrote:

Maybe its me - but I can't get the same passion about shooting with a flash
Plus, trying with tripod was so restricting, gave that up as well!

It's not just you believe me! I have both flash and tripod but prefer not to use either if I can possibly get away with it - I think natural light just looks nicer somehow and tripods get in the way. They're just neccessary evils for certain types of shot.

As for your photo I think it's a fantastic portrait and they should be very happy indeed with the end result. I wouldn't have noticed the glare if you hadn't pointed it out and even now I don't think it detracts from the shot in any way. Good work!
Joining the Q
fatspider
Posted 18/11/2008 - 22:59 Link
Well Lilly, I dont do portraits (not my scene) and I dont like kids, had mine and enjoying the rest till the next generation comes along (which wont be long now ...I'm too young to be a grandad

Anyway I love this pic, dont do anything with it, its fine as it is, I've seen profesional partraits that dont even come close to this, and my attempt wouldn't even get to the bottom rung of the ladder compared with this.

I give this pic a score of 99.9% (I'd have given it 100% but I dont like blokes either )
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Don
Posted 18/11/2008 - 23:06 Link
I spotted the glare, and no it won't detract, the parents will totally flip when they see it.

one tip that may or may not help, for future endeavors, I prefer to pose my subjects, or angle my camera and crop in such a way as to have babies eyes higher than dads....

Do try a little dodging around babies eye, but don't sweat it, it's not bad there, this shot is one or two split hairs short of astounding.
There are studios out there selling baby portraits every day that wish.....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Hardgravity
Posted 18/11/2008 - 23:08 Link
Such a good shot Lilly, like Hefty I agree about tripods and flash, Natural light is the best!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
TGK
Posted 19/11/2008 - 01:11 Link
I is a super capture.And what a beautiful little boy! The only thing i would have done is asked the daddy to take his shirt off so you had nothing but bare skin! So much more natural.(I say this as a photographer not as a women:roll
Tracey
K100D Super,DA 55-300.
CS3
ttk
Posted 19/11/2008 - 08:46 Link
Lilly lovely photo, wish I had the womens touch, as my wife has said (TGK)remove the man's shirt for another natural shot.
Tel,
Lilly
Posted 19/11/2008 - 16:56 Link
Thanks everyone for all the positve feedback, it really does help to confirm if you are on the right track, will have to crack on now with the rest of them.
Just one more for you, this is Liam's mum, she thought I was just judging the right exposure!

I am really pleased with this K20D, damn pin sharp and great res., especially when using a tripod !

Comment Image
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Posted 19/11/2008 - 17:02 Link
Fantastic pic of father and son. I agree with tracey and terry that a similar shot without the shirt on would look more natural....in my opinion anyway
f248
Posted 19/11/2008 - 23:01 Link
Fantastic.

Greetings
f248
Pentax K7-Pentax 100-300F, Pentax 35-80F, Pentax 18-50DA, sigma 28-80 2.8 -sigma 135-400 APO.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.