First K-3 Landscapes

davidstorm

Link Posted 11/11/2013 - 23:21
I said I was going to skip the K-3, but some recent posts have made me think otherwise. Got one today for my birthday and just had half an hour spare at Stokesay as it was getting dark. Here are the first two I've processed - please bear in mind that it really was very dark and I've under-exposed by a stop to prevent skies burning out (see second image), so it's quite impressive that there is very little shadow noise.

First impressions for me after very limited use are positive - I can't comment on high ISO noise because I've not used a high ISO, but I took a fair few long exposures in very dim light and there is no noise to speak of. Dynamic range looks to be very good and the images have 'pop'. By default the pictures look very contrasty even without any processing. On the downside, it seems to over-emphasise green tones, but this is easy to adjust in PP and will probably be easy to adjust in camera once I get the hang of settings.

The first one has had no sharpening at all, the second one very minimal (25 strength, threshold 4, radius 2 in PS Unsharp Mask).

CC welcomed as always, be as harsh or as complimentary as you like.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 11/11/2013 - 23:34

08tiger

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:08
I'm impressed with the detail and the richness of the greens, especially taking into account your explanation of the light, or lack of, great things to come.
C&C welcome.
Don.

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:21
Looking good David, can see very good detail there. I'm assuming the 'aa filter simulator' was off? (We really do need something better to call that!)
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:34
Hi Nigel, yes detail is high on the original files; it is immediately very noticeable in comparison to even the K-5iis, but may not come across so much on the compressed sizes on the Forum. I don't think the sensors have reached the limits of lens resolution yet (these were with the DA 17-70 which is by no means my sharpest lens).

Dynamic range seems excellent and the RAW files respond very well to processing - little or no noise in shadow areas. The pics I took today were up to 20 seconds exposure and none have any appreciable noise in the shadows and most were under-exposed by a stop as I had no ND Grad filters and the sky was quite bright in comparison with the landscape.

The AA filter was 'off' and I would expect it to stay that way for 99% of the time.

Colour rendition is pleasing - warmer than the K-5 or K-5iis, but greens are a bit over saturated. I will need to play with the settings to get them to my liking, but nothing I've seen so far worries me.

Regards
David
Flickr

andrewk

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:36
davidstorm wrote:
I said I was going to skip the K-3, but some recent posts have made me think otherwise. Got one today for my birthday .....

Congratulations - I wish I could get away with that.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

JAK

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:38
Trust you're pleased David - sounds like you are. Happy birthday by the way.

John K
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/11/2013 - 00:38

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 07:48
Happy birthday, David. You lucky boy. Mind you, I did get some nice socks and a rude card!

As always, lovey images with lots of fine detail. I'm sure you'll get the best from the new camera but I have the sneaking suspicion that you would achieve great images with the botton of a beer bottle gaffa-taped onto an Instamatic...
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

davidtrout

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 08:16
Super birthday present David and these images from it are first class. The light was obviously very low but you've captured the atmosphere of that magical location perfectly. What ISO were you were using?
Now I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your excellent photos from your new toy.
I've been to Stokesay a few times myself.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 12/11/2013 - 08:19

Blythman

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 08:24
Great to hear David. Hope you had a Happy Birthday.

Think most will be very interested in direct comparisons with the K5IIs. As this is the only camera where we can discount the AA filter effect.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

swarf

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 10:01
Very nice - I particularly like the lichen on the grave stones, but that might a result of the over-emphasis on the green tones which, to my eye and on my monitor, looks a bit strong on the grass in the foreground.
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Stridey

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 14:52
Belated Happy Birthday David ! I've never heard of Stokesay - looks and sounds an amazing place. I look forward to seeing more of your K3 images and your experiences on K5IIs v K3 as I am not sure which model to go for yet as a K5 upgrade.

Regards
Nigel
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

generator

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 16:12
Happy Birthday Dave
i hope you do not mind but it seems a bit soft on no 2 shot and 1 seems to be over taken with the green your right dave
Thanks Richard

Blaze

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 17:17
Happy birthday, David - what a lucky fella - nice present !
If you saw how green the grass is here, you wouldn't say that the grass was over the top. The colour rendition looks pretty good to me

davidstorm

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 20:41
generator wrote:
Happy Birthday Dave
I hope you do not mind but it seems a bit soft on no 2 shot and 1 seems to be over taken with the green your right dave

Hi Richard, there is some lens diffraction on number 2 (F14), I think this is what makes it look a bit softer. Having said that, the original is pretty sharp and I'm 100% certain there is no lack of sharpness from the camera, based on other shots I took at different apertures. You are right about the greens, but this is not something I've seen in other test shots on this site. I need to test it in better light with shorter exposures to get a real feel for the colour balance.

I do like the fact that it seems to produce 'warmer' images than the K-5, this was the only aspect of the K-5/K-5ii images that I didn't like.

davidtrout wrote:
What ISO were you were using?

Hi David, it was between 100 and 400, all on a tripod, exposures varied between 1 and 30 seconds. Both of these are ISO 100.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 12/11/2013 - 20:45

gtis

Link Posted 12/11/2013 - 21:08
Hi David
Happy birthday from me as well and it's my birthday today as well
The big 60
Neil
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.