First ever night shot.

Posted 02/01/2010 - 18:32 Link
Hi guys, this is my first ever night shot taken tonight at the local church. I just wanted some feedback and suggestions for improvement... also how important is an expensive tripod? The one I used is just a cheap 'Miranda' from Dixons.

[IMG]http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/lennardinio/StMarksChurch.jpg[/IMG]

A 100% crop to see what you think of the sharpness:
[IMG]http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/lennardinio/100crop.jpg[/IMG]

The shot was taken using my K-m and a Zenitar 16/2.8 lens. ISO was 200, shutter speed was 1.00s and aperture was 2.8.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Pentax K-30, Pentax K-m, Pentax 18-55mm DAL, Pentax 50-200mm DAL, Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8, Tamron AF 70-300mm Di LD, Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f2, Sigma 18-125mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Pentax FA 50mm 1.7
snappychappy
Posted 02/01/2010 - 21:15 Link
If the tripod was fairly stable, and you were using the self timer mode then I would increase the aperture to F8 the top of the spire looks soft. As long as the tripod was sturdy and spending more wouldnt make shot any sharper.
Posted 02/01/2010 - 21:41 Link
Hi Snappychappy, thanks for the feedback.

I will definitely try going to f8 next time as I agree the top is soft. I wasn't sure what I would get away with aperture wise and I didn't time for too much experimenting as the girlfiend was waiting in the car

Is a good spec tripod only necessary for windy conditions? I have read quite a few threads where people state that a good tripod is a must... but surely even cheap ones are pretty stable in calm conditions?

Thanks again

Andrew
Pentax K-30, Pentax K-m, Pentax 18-55mm DAL, Pentax 50-200mm DAL, Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8, Tamron AF 70-300mm Di LD, Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f2, Sigma 18-125mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Pentax FA 50mm 1.7
Thordell
Posted 03/01/2010 - 09:23 Link
Think a stable tripod is a must but that does not mean you have to spend a fortune there are reasonable priced tripods available but it does depend on what sort of use you wish to put it to - strong winds and mountain sides may require something stronger that available in the local Dixons. Try to find a shop that will advise you as to your needs, I don't know the tripod you mention but if it is stable enough for the work you wish to do then that is ideal equipment for you.

No good having a tripod that is so heavy you do no take it with you even the very best is no good if you left it at home.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo