First attempt at portraits

pschlute

Link Posted 26/02/2017 - 18:45
Here are two of my first attempts at portraits using wireless flash (AF 540 and AF360). I was using manual exposure and P-TTL wireless. One flash was on camera with a diffuser (head either pointed to the side with +2 compensation or pointed ahead with 0 compensation). The other flash was positioned on the right and fitted with a snoot (-0.5 compensation).

I would really appreciate any advice/criticism as although I have been a photographer for many, many years I have never used flash creatively.

Can I also express my deepest thanks to Nigel for not only writing a very helpful flash practical guide, but also for answering my questions. Without this i would still be both metaphorically and probably literally, in the dark.

Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/02/2017 - 18:50
I can't offer any constructive criticism - except to say that the first one is pretty much what I would call a perfect pet portrait
LennyBloke

stub

Link Posted 26/02/2017 - 18:56
No complaints from me....... All looks well. I congratulate anyone attempting off camera flash with Pentax... Its not so easy going....
K1 K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 26/02/2017 - 19:00

autumnlight

Link Posted 26/02/2017 - 23:41
Two beautiful shots, can't comment on flash because i haven't any experience, the end product is what matters and these look lovely to me!
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/02/2017 - 01:13
It certainly is the results that count, and its great to see you getting things up and running with your flashes. You should be very pleased with these. I'm no dog fan, but in any case the lighting has made these very appealing .... there is an interesting spread of light and shade across the subject, and the crucial face is nicely lit with good contrast across it, and the eyes stand out well. The positioning of the off-camera flash is better in the first one I think, it has a better coverage over the face, wheras in the 2nd one there is that quite hard shadow line down the left side of the face. It may be something as simple as the dogs face being turned slightly more towards the flash that has helped with the first one.

Isn't it liberating not to be worried about camera shake or noise ! You can shoot at any aperture you want to without worrying .... that's something I always like about indoor flash work. Thanks for the thanks Peter, I'm glad the Guide helped. The problem with flash is always that there's a good amount of technical stuff to sort out before you can expect to get good creative results. Some people like to grasp that and learn about it, but many others are put off by it, sadly. You seem to be well and truly within the first camp Peter, and you must be very satisfied so far!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60 Flash & V6 Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 27/02/2017 - 01:14

AlJones2402

Link Posted 27/02/2017 - 09:31
Great image's. Like the the tighter crop very much. Great job.

pschlute

Link Posted 27/02/2017 - 16:37
Thanks all for the comments. Yes Nigel I did notice the harsh shadow on the second one.

I can see lots of practice ahead of me.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.