Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Firmware download issues!

Posted 02/01/2013 - 16:56 Link
Hi.
I've tried to download the latest K30 firmware update by following the Pentax sites instructions and it just ain't working. I've tried the formatted SD card in the slot on my computer as well as directly into the camera -via the same perfectly healthy 2.0 GB card. I did get so far with the download, then my computer told me not to trust the source and basically offered no alternative but to abort the installation. I admit to the fact that I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to P.Cs but allowing for this fact either I'm too stoopid to own the camera, or I'm even more stoopid than I realised and basically shouldn't own either the camera or a computer!
Can anyone with the required degree of patience assist this techno-Muppet?
steven9761
Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:15 Link
Sounds like the only thing you haven't done (so far) is extract the downloaded .ZIP file. Go to where you d/l'ed it, then double-click this .zip file, and it should extract to give you the .bin file you need for the update. Put this .bin file onto your formatted sd card, then put the card into your camera whilst switched off. I think I'm right in saying that you should simultaneously press the MENU button and switch the camera on at the same time. The critical part is getting the .bin file onto the card, and continue from there. It sounds as though you are on the right track, but you are just trying to load the wrong file type.

GOOD LUCK!!
Edited by steven9761: 02/01/2013 - 17:16
bwlchmawr
Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:26 Link
How interesting. I tried to do the same thing with my new K5 the other day and had the same experience. As the updated benefits seemed only marginally useful, I haven't bothered trying again.

Earlier this year, the installation of new firmware in my Fuji X10 went without a hitch.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
steven9761
Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:42 Link
Andrew - I think most people that have problems similar to yours are all using a Microsh*t operating system, which will not recognise the .bin file as part of it's array of tools, thus you will always be redirected to a Microcrap website that will point you in the direction of a site that offers (often unneccessary) software that will assist in using a given unrecognized file type.

Try downloading the update again, saving it to your desktop. Once you have done so, double-click the icon to begin the process of extracting the required .bin file. Once the .bin file has been extracted, copy it onto a blank formatted sd card. Highlight the .bin file from the list of extracted files, then with a single right-click, you should get a drop-down box that offers you the chance to copy the file (I think it may also offer to SEND TO the sd card directly) - all you need to tell the computer is where your sd card is (possibly F/G/H/J/K drive). Dump the .bin file onto it, then proceed to place the card into the camera, then continue the process from there.
andrewk
Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:50 Link
I updated the K30 firmware a couple of weeks back - worked fine, first time.

FWIW, the OS on my desktop is Windoze 7

Andrew
darkskies
Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:51 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Andrew - I think most people that have problems similar to yours are all using a Microsh*t operating system, which will not recognise the .bin file as part of it's array of tools, thus you will always be redirected to a Microcrap website that will point you in the direction of a site that offers (often unneccessary) software that will assist in using a given unrecognized file type.

Didn't have that problem myself........
This space deliberately left blank.
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:34 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Sounds like the only thing you haven't done (so far) is extract the downloaded .ZIP file. Go to where you d/l'ed it, then double-click this .zip file, and it should extract to give you the .bin file you need for the update. Put this .bin file onto your formatted sd card, then put the card into your camera whilst switched off. I think I'm right in saying that you should simultaneously press the MENU button and switch the camera on at the same time. The critical part is getting the .bin file onto the card, and continue from there. It sounds as though you are on the right track, but you are just trying to load the wrong file type.

GOOD LUCK!!

There wasn't any ZIP file associated with the download Steve.. Nada, zilch and or nothing...beyond my P.C throwing a massive strop and refusing to proceed with the transfer.
Nonetheless for that, cover me...I'm going back in again!
SteveEveritt
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:40 Link
Are you using Vista?
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:42 Link
andrewk wrote:
I updated the K30 firmware a couple of weeks back - worked fine, first time.

FWIW, the OS on my desktop is Windoze 7

Andrew

Ok...would you like a K30 and Toshiba Laptop?
techno-terminator
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:43 Link
You mean I'm going to have to do an update as soon as I get my K30 ??

I only recently did the K-x [ with help ] - and now I've a new camera to do [ well next week once it arrives ]
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:43 Link
SteveEveritt wrote:
Are you using Vista?

No...Windows 7
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:45 Link
techno-terminator wrote:

I only recently did the K-x [ with help ] - and now I've a new camera to do [ well next week once it arrives ]

If my experience is anything to go by dude...then may the Lord have mercy upon your soul!
techno-terminator
Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:47 Link
Macs are friendly machines

steven9761
Posted 02/01/2013 - 19:42 Link
techno-terminator wrote:

Angela - remember how I showed you. It's exactly the same process. If you get stuck (I have complete faith in you getting it right), PM me for a wee refresher!!
techno-terminator
Posted 02/01/2013 - 19:50 Link
Still to get the new Toy - but I reckon I'll manage this time

I hope - depends on the blood alcohol level when I get back !!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.