Fireworks
Posted 25/10/2010 - 16:27
Link
You need to install your camera on a tripod. ISO 100 with 30 sec exposures at f:8 generally gives decent pictures. Use the 2 sec. delay or a remote to trigger the camera. A wide angle lens gives better results than a telephoto. When setting up your camera on the tripod, try to include something in the foreground (building, tree top...) so you have a reference as to which way is top and bottom.
You'll have a serious advantage on most people, since you won't have to anticipate the action. You'll know the firing sequence, so you'll be able to trigger the camera at the right time to get the best pieces.
Have fun!
You'll have a serious advantage on most people, since you won't have to anticipate the action. You'll know the firing sequence, so you'll be able to trigger the camera at the right time to get the best pieces.
Have fun!
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 25/10/2010 - 16:58
Link
Thanks pentaxian450 I've been thinking about this while I was walking the dogs you know I'm torn between trying to capture the aerial stuff or the action on the ground ei a row of 20 6 or 8 inch pots firing in rapid succesion,the smoke, the fuse catching,or trying to freeze a large shell leaving the pot , you know serious hard hat stuff ... Jeff
Posted 25/10/2010 - 17:54
Link
One thing with the long exposures though is that you get several fireworks in the same frame.
Simply use the bulb mode and press it to start the exposure and release it to end the exposure, everything between that is captured, that way you've some control what's on the frame and not.
The 2 second delay isn't needed because it's a long exposure so that tenth of a second the camera moves would hardly have any effect on the photo.
I don't think someone pushing buttons during the actual show is that exciting
Simply use the bulb mode and press it to start the exposure and release it to end the exposure, everything between that is captured, that way you've some control what's on the frame and not.
The 2 second delay isn't needed because it's a long exposure so that tenth of a second the camera moves would hardly have any effect on the photo.
jeffstclair wrote:
you know I'm torn between trying to capture the aerial stuff or the action on the ground
But the action on the ground is preparation right?you know I'm torn between trying to capture the aerial stuff or the action on the ground
I don't think someone pushing buttons during the actual show is that exciting
Posted 25/10/2010 - 18:07
Link
Hi Stefan .. I will be in with the racks of pyro as it's firing ! we have a fail safe on all shows. The problem is do I want to have a Camera in that enviroment now that is very exciting
Posted 25/10/2010 - 18:10
Link
I've just noticed I'm a Site Veteran... I Must be really old...Jeff
Posted 25/10/2010 - 18:13
Link
You would need to shoot from a tripod though, i don't think it's safe with the legs in the dark though but that's for you to judge.
For the rest i don't see a problem with using the camera there just clean the camera with a slightly moist cloth to wipe all the residue of the fireworks away.
I know very little about fireworks though so maybe you can come up with a good idea why not to shoot there.
If you've a fish eye lens you could capture the sky and the pods going off if you place the camera lower.
The only problem is that you can't stand near the camera or else you will be on it so you need to use a remote.
For the rest i don't see a problem with using the camera there just clean the camera with a slightly moist cloth to wipe all the residue of the fireworks away.
I know very little about fireworks though so maybe you can come up with a good idea why not to shoot there.
If you've a fish eye lens you could capture the sky and the pods going off if you place the camera lower.
The only problem is that you can't stand near the camera or else you will be on it so you need to use a remote.
Posted 25/10/2010 - 18:15
Link
A hand held DA* 50 - 135 is what I use (+ a camera body).
A tripod is way too restrictive IMHO
A tripod is way too restrictive IMHO
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 25/10/2010 - 21:24
Link
The other thing to consider is how to take the picture. It sounds like you won't necessarily be 'at' the camera when the picture needs to be taken. In that case you need the Pentax Remote F, though I'm not sure what the range on it is.
Posted 26/10/2010 - 00:10
Link
jeffstclair wrote:
I've just noticed I'm a Site Veteran... I Must be really old...Jeff
Do you think you can reach Stefan's number of post?I've just noticed I'm a Site Veteran... I Must be really old...Jeff
As for Stefan's trick of using B and starting the exposure with one push, and ending it with a second push, it doesn't work with all Pentax cameras, which is why I suggested using 30 sec. exposures.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 26/10/2010 - 10:40
Link
A Head Torch is useful too
Posted 27/10/2010 - 11:43
Link
Gareth - in the dark bits, you know between each firework going off - you need to be able to find your beer glass
Posted 27/10/2010 - 15:19
Link
Many thanks all you lot , I'm leaving for the UK in the morning ' I'll take on board all the tips that I've got from this thread and maybe post some photos later , I'll be in Carlisle on friday the show is on saturday the 6th
... Any good second hand camera shops in Carlisle?? Jeff
... Any good second hand camera shops in Carlisle?? Jeff
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



624 posts
16 years
Crete