FF & APS-C sensor & lens comparison

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 10:51
This video shows the difference when a lens is used on a full frame camera, then an APS-C cropped sensor camera.

To me, the difference is quite startling when you actually see it in the flesh, as it were.

Beware: Canon kit is used for this demonstration, but I don't hold that against them.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

flossie

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 11:03
The LensBaby on the 5D is quite an interesting look...

Hopefully they will do a follow-up where they compare the equivalent focal lengths so you can see how FF compares to APS without the zooming effect.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Last Edited by flossie on 10/09/2010 - 11:05

Cayman

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 11:13
Thanks Mannesty - interesting link. Hopefully Pentax will actually bring out a FF sensor in due course so we can reap the benefits.

Algernon

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 12:06
We've always known that on Pentax the difference is 50% Not a very good demo because he's made the frame sizes the same.

It would cause problems with say 400mm lenses you would need to buy a 600mm lens to get the same frame on FF as APS-C. Then if you used the 600mm lens on APS-C you fill the frame better with say birds.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 10/09/2010 - 12:06

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 14:25
Algernon wrote:
Not a very good demo because he's made the frame sizes the same.

And why wouldn't he make the frames the same size? He's not showing the difference in sensor size actually, he's demonstrating the effect of one lens on the two systems.

This is a video presentation so no need to use different sized frames.

If a customer wants a 10" x 8" print, it'll be a 10" x 8" print irrespective of what sensor it was shot on.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Algernon

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 18:16
There is a site that's been posted on here that shows the relative sizes of each sensor.

What the video doesn't show is that his head would be the same size on both sensors, there would be more of the space surrounding him on full frame.

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 19:02
Whilst quite technical this site has some useful information on it about FF v crop sensors link

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 19:41
That site is dated 2005, so it is a bit out of date now.
Best regards, John

bretbysteve

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 19:50
Canon make terrific kit, no matter what anyone here says. They can teach Pentax plenty about autofocus performance and ergonomics...

mowog

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 20:10
That Kid is the spitting image of me, 20+ years ago!

Time and Mother nature are cruel.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

RR

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 20:18
johnriley wrote:
That site is dated 2005, so it is a bit out of date now.

I wasn't aware that the laws of Physics had changed in the last 5 years.

The op video is a nice graphical representation of the crop factor in effect, of course you'd just use wider lenses on the 7d to achieve your intended coverage.

What is startling is the quality of the video, no wonder TV companies have started shooting with the 5d. A low budget way to get a highly cinematic look.
My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 20:26
Quote:
I wasn't aware that the laws of Physics had changed in the last 5 years.

The laws of Physics as we know them are constantly changing as our understanding of the Universe expands, but what I meant was in relation to how this all affects digital cameras has changed because sensors have considerably changed.
Best regards, John

RR

Link Posted 10/09/2010 - 20:37
That page is heavily maths based though & they seem to not make any IQ claims one way or the other so I'd still deem it relevant (if a litle tough reading!)

I take your point though, dated conclusions on FF vs APS-C would need to be looked at closely if making claims one way or the other as sensors have improved considerably year on year.
My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.