Faster lens
Posted 29/01/2010 - 08:08
Link
pink: missed the item on ebay. Saw the following, so asked the seller to confirm if it is OK for K20D SLR. He referred me to one of our Forums, so here is the link. Any advice, guys?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390149220974&_trksid=p2761....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390149220974&_trksid=p2761....
Posted 29/01/2010 - 08:25
Link
why on earth should it not work? You will need to set the camera to allow the aperture ring to work, but that's it.
I find it expensive for a 1.7.
Bret
I find it expensive for a 1.7.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 29/01/2010 - 10:03
Link
I would not ask if I were a 'Pentax Master'.. more of a novice than Master. Expensive? On ebay they are all around £50 mark. Even the one I missed, was bid for at £50.
Posted 29/01/2010 - 11:21
Link
Sixty quid is about right for an A series 50mm at the moment. The faffing about necessary to use a K or M series lens means that they sell at a premium. You could try keeping an eye on cheap cameras like the ME Super as sometimes naive sellers will have something interesting attached to the front. Unfortunately, every man and his dog (or so it seems) is squinting at badly taken photos to check them out.
Karl... any Pentax K-mount lens will work fine. The original series ("K") and M series lenses require more fiddling, everything thereafter (A, F, FA, FA-J, DA etc) will be fine.
Best wishes, Kris.
Karl... any Pentax K-mount lens will work fine. The original series ("K") and M series lenses require more fiddling, everything thereafter (A, F, FA, FA-J, DA etc) will be fine.
Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 29/01/2010 - 11:49
Link
How far away are you going to be from these performers? 50mm seems quite short unless you are in the press pit or backstage.
I would follow John R's advice and try your 50-200 first. The performers will probably be lit by spotlights, so even a slow-ish lens should do pretty well (for photographing the performers, things like crowd shots will be a different story).
I would follow John R's advice and try your 50-200 first. The performers will probably be lit by spotlights, so even a slow-ish lens should do pretty well (for photographing the performers, things like crowd shots will be a different story).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 29/01/2010 - 11:55
Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
why on earth should it not work? You will need to set the camera to allow the aperture ring to work, but that's it.
You won't even need to do that because it has an "A" setting on the aperture ring. Just use it in "A".why on earth should it not work? You will need to set the camera to allow the aperture ring to work, but that's it.
By the way, I just bought a rear lens cap from that seller. The item was as described and dispatched quickly. He certainly packs things (too) well enough. The cap came in a large box padded with paper!
~Pete
Posted 29/01/2010 - 12:04
Link
.... personally, from the pit I've used a 50, and from directly in front a 28-70. That was too long at times, which is another reason I'd like a 24-x.
It may well be that the lens simply works on A, I remember that the first manual I got was fully so, so I had to make the two changes.
Bret
It may well be that the lens simply works on A, I remember that the first manual I got was fully so, so I had to make the two changes.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 29/01/2010 - 12:15
Link
[quote:3496ace15f="karlh"]pink: missed the item on ebay. Saw the following, so asked the seller to confirm if it is OK for K20D SLR. He referred me to one of our Forums, so here is the link. Any advice, guys?
]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390149220974&_trksid=p2761....
The lens is fully compatible with your camera except for lack of autofocus, of course. The seller is reliable, and the price is about the current going rate.
The large max aperture gives it a big advantage over the 50-200. Try to use ISO 1600 and lower when you can. 3200 noise is quite bad.
]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390149220974&_trksid=p2761....
The lens is fully compatible with your camera except for lack of autofocus, of course. The seller is reliable, and the price is about the current going rate.
The large max aperture gives it a big advantage over the 50-200. Try to use ISO 1600 and lower when you can. 3200 noise is quite bad.
~Pete
Posted 29/01/2010 - 13:01
Link
You might look out for a Pentax-F 50mm f1.7, it has autofocus. As others have said 3200 seems far too fast, you should get away with 800. If you shoot RAW then you can get away with some underexposure. Assuming there is a lighting rig it will be contrasty and patchy, I would tend to expose towards the highlights and let the shadows go.
Once you have established the correct exposure you might be better going totally manual so that the camera isn't fooled by some momentary bright light.
I was shooting last night in a theatre with rock concert style lighting and manual everything was the only way to go.
Once you have established the correct exposure you might be better going totally manual so that the camera isn't fooled by some momentary bright light.
I was shooting last night in a theatre with rock concert style lighting and manual everything was the only way to go.
Ken
We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole. - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole. - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 29/01/2010 - 13:20
Link
Thank you all for your comments. As I said earlier, I want to get few initial shots, to establish the gigs details. I have tried the 50-200 recently, in rather poor light. Was not much of a success. With the 50mm I can get as near to the performers as I wish. Have established good relationship with the venue owners,which are pubs, who are looking forward to someone promoting live gigs in the Portobello Road area. Also thanks for comments about the seller.
Posted 30/01/2010 - 09:33
Link
iceblinker:Bought the lens yesterday afternoon - arrived by RD this morning!.. Well done axiomauctions.
However, when I fit the lens and switch on, I get F- - in the LCD window. What do I have to do set it up?
The lens is SMC Pentax -A 1:1.7 50mm
However, when I fit the lens and switch on, I get F- - in the LCD window. What do I have to do set it up?
The lens is SMC Pentax -A 1:1.7 50mm
Posted 30/01/2010 - 09:36
Link
Look at the aperture ring on the lens, there should be a small button next to the letter "A"? Press that and turn the ring further to the right, this will put it into "A" mode and your camera should be able to control the aperture.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 30/01/2010 - 10:16
Link
Dangermouse: Easy, when you know how works a treat. Thanks.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


77 posts
17 years
Notting Hill,
London
The magnifying eyepiece is also a good tip.
I am at present taking 'start-up' pictures of bands for my new website, which among other things will promote live music in the Portobello Road area. After I have established the section, I would expect the artists to provide me with some pictures to promote their own gigs. So, really, I do not want to spend great amount of money. Other elements of the website are pictures from the Market and surrounding area, so the lenses I already have, should do..
After all the pictures are taken, I will just have to concentrate on updates from the Road.