Farewell to *ist

johnriley

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 14:23
Our last film camera purchase was the *ist...sadly it has now developed a fault and is unrepairable due to a lack of parts. Everyhthing is in as-new condition, but the second pressure on the shutter release does not release the shutter.

I am told by both Harrow Technical and Asahi Photo that this is a component failure, and there are no parts.

I only mention it as it's something to be aware of when looking at eBay purchases. Some of these cameras are quite old now and unless they were very successful there may be few parts to be had. One of the earlier models might well be a better bet as the *ist was not around long before the digital revolution really hit home.
Best regards, John

michaelblue

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 15:06
johnriley wrote:
Our last film camera purchase was the *ist...sadly it has now developed a fault and is unrepairable due to a lack of parts. Everyhthing is in as-new condition, but the second pressure on the shutter release does not release the shutter.

I am told by both Harrow Technical and Asahi Photo that this is a component failure, and there are no parts.

I only mention it as it's something to be aware of when looking at eBay purchases. Some of these cameras are quite old now and unless they were very successful there may be few parts to be had. One of the earlier models might well be a better bet as the *ist was not around long before the digital revolution really hit home.

John, sorry to hear of the demise of your *ist, it's such a great little camera.

I have one which requires a couple of 'external parts', would you be willing to sell yours for spares ...if so how much?

Regards, Michael
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

johnriley

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 15:19
I'll drop you a PM Michael.
Best regards, John

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 17:16
The *ist is a model I've never had and, as a collector would like to try.

Thanks for the timely warning that parts are no longer available John and commiseration on the passing of your camera.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

GC

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 17:19
My condolences on the sad loss of your *ist.
I have one and like the camera a lot. Unfortunately even when it was being designed by Pentax, I am sure that they knew that it would be their last new film SLR camera. Which is a shame they did not make it a little bit more robust. My MZ5n seems to be taking the knocks a lot better.

Regards

Graham
Last Edited by GC on 20/09/2011 - 17:21

johnriley

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 19:14
It will be on its way to Michael in the morning.

The pity is that it's in such beautiful condition...c'est la vie.
Best regards, John

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 22:44
Sorry to hear it John. I never bought an *ist, but with hindsight I should have at the time, with its AF points. I will have to keep an eye on my MZ-5n and MZ-50 as a result.

RIP *ist
Some Cameras

Dangermouse

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 23:10
Sadly, I think there was a slow decline in build quality. Not all that surprising IMO - everyone else was building products down to a price, and Pentax would have had to follow suit to remain competitive. The MZ series in particular have that infamous drive gear, while this can be replaced it's a scarily complicated job for an amateur and getting it done professionally will outweigh the value of the camera.

My SFX feels much better built than my MZ-7, to compare two upmarket bodies of their respective generations. I should probably hunt down an SFXn before they all disappear!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 20/09/2011 - 23:19

smc

Link Posted 20/09/2011 - 23:25
johnriley wrote:

Before tearing it apart, check if the component is the same as the istDS. It is repairable. The component is a standard membrane switch. There are plenty of links on the web to repair the switch.

Stebbutt

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 10:58
Dangermouse wrote:
I should probably hunt down an SFXn before they all disappear!

Matt, if you really want one you're welcome to one I have sitting around. Acquired in the usual way, buy a lens and get a free body

Simon.

womble

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 14:05
Off topic I know, but does anyone have a list of the differences between the SFX and SFXn?

Thanks, K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnriley

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 14:33
"The SFX was succeeded by the SFXn in 1989, adding automatic exposure bracketing, as well as a few other improvements such as 1/4000sec maximum shutter speed." (Quoted from Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm Cameras 1952-1989 by Danilo Cecchi)
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 21:33
Stebbutt wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
I should probably hunt down an SFXn before they all disappear!

Matt, if you really want one you're welcome to one I have sitting around. Acquired in the usual way, buy a lens and get a free body

Simon.

I don't use the SFX anything like as much as I should, so I suspect it'd just go from sitting on your shelves doing nothing to sitting on mine doing even less! Thanks for the offer anyway.

I just find I prefer the KX/MX handling. I have two MXs which seem perfect and a KX which is nearly so aside from a self timer which sets itself off rather than waiting for you to pull the trigger lever down after winding.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 22:19
Thanks John.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

michaelblue

Link Posted 24/09/2011 - 08:20
johnriley wrote:

Arrived well packed, thanks John.

Now....where's that toolbox?

Michael
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.