Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Fantastic friendly photogenic fox cub

Posted 26/06/2022 - 18:56 Link
Late yesterday evening I spent a fantastic 45 minutes in the fresh Yorkshire countryside air with a photogenic, friendly, fox cub.
These were taken c9:54-10:30 with the k-3iii set at 12800 ISO and the 16-85 Pentax lens.
I used a trial version of the denoise/clarity enhancing prog Dx0 PureRaw2. Must say I am very impressed with the capabilities of the camera and the program as the light was exceedingly limited.
I am beginning to understand why folk shoot in RAW rather than just JPG.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Posted 26/06/2022 - 19:16 Link
Love these shots, wild flowers and a fox cub what's not to like, the dark adds to the scene.
Lubbyman
Posted 26/06/2022 - 19:17 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent photos . And what an experience! I hope you're not now imprinted on the cub as it's mother .

It's photos like this that challenge my reasoning that getting a K3iii wouldn't do anything for the sort of photography I do. Just a few days ago I was out at the same time as you but having close(-ish) encounters with nightjars. Didn't bother taking a camera (K3) because the light would be too poor...

Steve
Posted 26/06/2022 - 19:25 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Excellent photos . It's photos like this that challenge my reasoning that getting a K3iii wouldn't do anything for the sort of photography I do. Just a few days ago I was out at the same time as you but having close(-ish) encounters with nightjars. Didn't bother taking a camera (K3) because the light would be too poor...
Steve

Must admit that I am gobsmacked by the technology in this camera. I didnt consider buying one UNTIL I saw this one advertised by someone who had got it as a Amazon "new" returned one and couldnt find a buyer for it to make loads of money back. He knew it was £1,900 and then £1,600 new but I got it for a lot less than 1/2 price. It's good that Pentax is a small, niche market
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Posted 26/06/2022 - 19:26 Link
loadoftripe wrote:
Love these shots, wild flowers and a fox cub what's not to like, the dark adds to the scene.

Thanks, I thought that it was too dark to get decent photos BUT they looked reasonable on the screen, so I kept on going . . .
cardiffgareth
Posted 26/06/2022 - 22:38 - Helpful Comment Link
Stunning animal.

That ISO! Results are great
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 27/06/2022 - 00:13 - Helpful Comment Link
Outstanding images. Says so much not only about the camera but the person taking the shot. Kudos.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
davidwozhere
Posted 27/06/2022 - 00:51 Link
Urbanmeister wrote:
Outstanding images. Says so much not only about the camera but the person taking the shot. Kudos.

Couldn't agree more. Well done.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Chrism8
Posted 27/06/2022 - 07:08 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent set particularly at iso 12,800, you must have been pretty close as well using the 16 - 85. #3 is the pick of the bunch
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 27/06/2022 - 09:48 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
Stunning animal.

That ISO! Results are great

Obviously, the JPGs at 12800 ISO weren't so good!
Thanks for appreciation
Edited by GrumpyGrandPa: 27/06/2022 - 09:49
Posted 27/06/2022 - 09:52 Link
Urbanmeister wrote:

Many thanks for your praise.
Like a lot of wildlife photography, it's about being in the right place at the right time .... and, often, a lot of patience.
When I got there I stood and waited. Two appeared and saw me and dashed back into the woodland.
One, eventually, did come back out.
Twas an amazing experience to be so close for so long to an unafraid youngster
Posted 27/06/2022 - 09:57 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
Excellent set particularly at iso 12,800, you must have been pretty close as well using the 16 - 85. #3 is the pick of the bunch

Thanks for your praise.
The closest the cub came to me was about 2m, furthest was about 20 yards.
No idea why it stayed so close rather than wandering further afield.

The 3rd shot was one of the ealry ones when the cub emerged form the woods.
Here's the previous shot.

Comment Image
OldTaffy
Posted 27/06/2022 - 15:52 - Helpful Comment Link
loadoftripe wrote:
Love these shots, wild flowers and a fox cub what's not to like.

Unless you are a Yorkshire farmer with lambs in the flock!

But what a wonderful experience, and rewarded with such memorable photos. You must be happy.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 27/06/2022 - 15:59 Link
OldTaffy wrote:
loadoftripe wrote:
Love these shots, wild flowers and a fox cub what's not to like.

Unless you are a Yorkshire farmer with lambs in the flock!

But what a wonderful experience, and rewarded with such memorable photos. You must be happy.

Quite happy would be an understatement.
Looking, lurking, luck and patience paid off here - AND, obviously, a Pentax to enable me to capture such shots!
RobL
Posted 27/06/2022 - 18:02 - Helpful Comment Link
What a marvellous experience, very few people are lucky (or skilled) enough to stay this close to any wild animal. Young animals are so wonderfully curious, you can see them battling between shyness and inquisitiveness. Well done.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.