Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Famous Pentax Photographers

Paulcollins
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:02 Link
Now I love the quality of my Pentax Camera,as I'm sure all of you do,I've never seen anyone flying the flag out here for Pentax, is there any famous photographers using Pentax, or have they all been sucked in by Nikon and Canon, I know some of the really rich snappers use hasslebad, back to the real world famous Pentax users
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:05 Link
Our favourite is Helena Christensen. In fact she's the only famous pentax user I know.

There could be a whole host of anonymised celebs on here under assumed names. Or lurking. I'd imagine they won't for a queue to divulge.
Lurking is shirking.!
edumad
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:35 Link
Benjikan was sponsored by Pentax at one point.
His work is awesome (in the true sense of the word).
Anvh
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:45 Link
Does it need to be digital?
the 645 and the 6x7 film had some better known shooters I believe or have shoot with it at least.

Sam Haskins is one I know.
There is also that crazy Japanese guy... will look him up and post his name if I can find it.

edit: oh wow found it really fast, typed in Japanese Photographer in google and google actually make the search suggestion to add his name, Nobuyoshi Araki.
His photos have sexual content so you've been warned.

Here is the same topic on anther forum link
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 07/07/2010 - 19:51
gartmore
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:51 Link
Sam Haskins, David Bailey, Don McCullin, Jane Bown have all used Pentax at some point.

Can't see that it matters at all very much, it is the photograph that matters.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
matwhittington
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:54 Link
My favourite images are taken by Nick Brandt, who has published books of the wildlife in Africa and there have been links to his work here in the forum in the past. he uses a Pentax 67ii and a couple of prime lenses - produces absolutely stunning results (to my mind).

EDIT: here is a link to his website - check out his images under 'portfolios'
link

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Edited by matwhittington: 07/07/2010 - 19:56
Paulcollins
Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:01 Link
gartmore wrote:
Sam Haskins, David Bailey, Don McCullin, Jane Bown have all used Pentax at some point.

It doesn't matter, I just never see Pentax pushed the way the others are, when really Pentax should be proud of what they do,I'm old enough to remember when Pentax was at the top of it's game in the film days, and it would be nice to see Pentax advert on the TV, at the moment Canon have the 550d advert on, and I have to say it a better than great advert.
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Anvh
Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:03 Link
gartmore wrote:

But it's fun to see someone making it with a brand of camera that you own, it works a bit inspiring maybe, at least that are my feelings.
And proud off course like Paul suggest.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 07/07/2010 - 20:04
terje-l
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:29 Link
John Hedgecoe used a lot of Pentax equipment. Don't know if that counts. (In my opinion it does).
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Pentaxophile
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:35 Link
John Hedgecoe used Pentax SLRs a lot! Expect we'll see more famous Pentax users with the 645d. I'm not particularly suprised there aren't that many famous Pentax apsc DSLR users to be truthful. Although i've seen a few who deserve to be well known, IMHO, even on this site.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
George Lazarette
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:58 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Although i've seen a few who deserve to be well known, IMHO, especially on this site.

I've taken the liberty of correcting your typo.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
mowog
Posted 07/07/2010 - 23:22 Link
I remember seeing a picture of the Beatles, all holding black SV or S1a cameras. They didn't even have to buy them! They were GIVEN to them by Asahi, for the publicity it would bring the brand.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
Pentaxophile
Posted 07/07/2010 - 23:40 Link
Pentax need to get on the phone to GaGa's people. I can see her sporting some mad K-x colour combination. I expect she'd want more than just to keep the camera to be seen with it in public though. That girl's all 'ooh look at me i'm arty and subversive', but really she's all about the product placement.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
cabstar
Posted 08/07/2010 - 00:11 Link
Surely a camera is just a tool???

I have no allegiance to any brand... I bought a tool that was suitable for my needs, I still use that tool, whilst shooting at Glastonbury this year I saw a couple of Pentax shooters, one with a ist d attached to an FA* 80-200mm f/2.8. I also saw some togs with both Nikon & canon bodies, liek I say cameras are just tools to get an image...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
MrCynical
Posted 08/07/2010 - 02:07 Link
cabstar wrote:
Surely a camera is just a tool???

I have no allegiance to any brand (...) I also saw some togs with both Nikon & canon bodies, liek I say cameras are just tools to get an image...

True, but some people do base their choice of camera brand on what Famous Photographer X uses (most of these people currently use Canikon). More famous Pentax users could help attract such people, and thus through economies of scale result in cheaper lenses/cameras for the rest of us!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.