Expired film

bjolester

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 11:16
I have a supply of 120 film stored in my fridge (+3-5 celsius), mostly Kodak Porta but also some Illford. Unfortunately many of the films expire in June/July 2013. How long past the date of expiry can the films be used?

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

johnha

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 11:36
Hi Bjorn,

I don't know, but I'm currently shooting a mix of Velvia/Provia from 2003, 2005 & 2009 (not recently stored in the fridge) - simply to refresh my 120 film/camera (Mamiya 645) handling routine. I'll get a couple of rolls processed before deciding on the rest.

I'm not expecting it to be useable, but it gives me a bit of familiarity before deciding whether to start looking for a 6x7.

The mono is probably a lot less likely to be a problem, there's no colour to worry about and with slight changes to exposure/dev you might get some good results.

I also fouind a lot of exposed but un-processed film from '03 onwards, wondering what to do with that too.

John.
PPG Flickr

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 13:45
It depends on storage, so try it. Some films can last many years past the use by date. Black and white can last decades, although adding anti-fog agent to the developer can be a good idea for very old films.

Freeze the films now to extend their life. Allow several hours defrosting before opening and using.
Best regards, John

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 14:51
As a general rule films designated as 'amateur' were built to withstand quite serious abuse at either end of the temperature scale as well as over exposure. 'Professional' films were designed to be refrigerated and exposed correctly. From what you say I think your film will be perfectly fine. There are limits, I remember once being berated by someone at the BBC who used a short-end or re-can of mine which he claimed I had fogged. I pointed out that since I hadn't worked there for seven years, he really should have checked the use by date. Why it had been kept on a shelf that long beggars belief.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 15:14
Thank you all for good advice!

johnriley wrote:

Freeze the films now to extend their life. Allow several hours defrosting before opening and using.

The films are now in the freezer
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 28/05/2013 - 15:14

DERYN

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 15:46
Wow, I thought it was a joke that I wasn't in on! But, putting film in the freezer seems legitimate. I've seen out of date film for sale quite cheaply. There is enough supply of standard film around for me at the moment but it's good to know that it can be put in the freezer should it pass it use by date.

So this isn't a 'in joke' right? Film CAN be stored in the freezer! Time to consult the world wide web.

Deryn

johnriley

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 16:06
Yes, film can be stored in the freezer. We wouldn't mislead you with jokes.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 18:15
Yup it can. Just ask my wife but remember to duck... I have some Fuji Neopan 1600 35mm and some Fuji Velvia 100 120 rolls in my freezer.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

greynolds999

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 18:28
DERYN wrote:
Wow, I thought it was a joke that I wasn't in on! But, putting film in the freezer seems legitimate. I've seen out of date film for sale quite cheaply. There is enough supply of standard film around for me at the moment but it's good to know that it can be put in the freezer should it pass it use by date.

So this isn't a 'in joke' right? Film CAN be stored in the freezer! Time to consult the world wide web.

Deryn

As long as you remember everything on the internet is a lie! Except this forum, of course.
My Photobucket

Algernon

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 19:07
I keep pork sauasages in old folding cameras. A 120/620
film spool is exacly the same length as a Porkinson Banger

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 16:24
I just developed a 2006 dated Ilford Delta 100 fridge stored, rated at 80 ASA, which has had about 6 X-Rays lately and it came out excellently -- no fog and good contrast -- I have used some 2005 dated Fuji 'Reala 100' downrated to 80 ASA from the trip and it will be ready on Wednesday.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 05/06/2013 - 13:10
Hooray !! I just got three fillums processed and printed by BOOTS of BRENTWOOD HIGH STREET and they are all good !! one was a Fuji NPS 160 I didn't finish on a trip lastAugust abroad and it had been through six X-Rays and another lot of X=Rays this trip and I rated it at 80 ASA instead of 160 and it came out PERFECK -- and my Fuji Reala 100 outdatd I rated at 80 ASA and been through X-Rays came out PERFECK as well !
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

johnha

Link Posted 05/06/2013 - 22:17
I've just had my expired/old 120 rolls back from Peak Imaging. This was Fuji Provia 100 (probably Professional) and dating back to being exposed in 2005 ish and Provia 100 Pro expired 2009 shot recently. Storage was not temperature controlled in a cupboard. All were exposed at ISO 100 and as far as I'm aware received normal development (I noted they were old films on the order form but didn't request any changes).

Apart from slight signs of light leaks (probably through/around the backing paper) on the last couple of shots on some of the rolls exposed in 2005 and the rebate on a few frames leading up to this, everything came out like new.

EDIT - The expired 2009 film and shot recently came out looking fine (different camera) but no obvious signs of light leaks.

Seeing trannies on a light box again is very refreshing!

John.
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 05/06/2013 - 22:21

johnha

Link Posted 05/06/2013 - 23:20
johnha wrote:

Apart from slight signs of light leaks (probably through/around the backing paper) on the last couple of shots on some of the rolls exposed in 2005 and the rebate on a few frames leading up to this, everything came out like new.

A few examples can be found here: link

There's a couple of pairs showing the problem with shots at the end of the rolls compared to earlier shots. Sadly not shot on Pentax gear so I can't post them here.

John.
PPG Flickr

DERYN

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 20:39
Very interesting results John. Were the best of the bunch?

Hi Peter, do you have examples to scan to let us see?

Deryn
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.