Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Event photography prices

aliengrove
Posted 01/11/2012 - 11:25 Link
I have been asked to provide a quote to cover a product launch here in Doha and was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of the going rate. They asked me to include equipment, transport and food costs. I'm not quite sure what they mean about equipment costs. The client is a US agency that provides local services for corporate events throughout the world. The event will be 10 hours long, and edited images are required. I've not been told what the product is yet. The launch is taking place in a 5 star hotel here in Doha.

Looking at other local photographer's charges here, the going rate would seem to work out at around $1000 and $300 for a disk of edited images, which seems a bit below what I would have expected. I also have to give 10% of my fee to the photographic agency (with whom I have dealt before), who recommended me to the client.

I'd appreciate any advice from people here who have covered similar events, mainly in terms of pricing, but also any advice on equipment would be welcome.

Jon
Edited by aliengrove: 01/11/2012 - 11:45
DaveHolmes
Posted 01/11/2012 - 11:48 Link
aliengrove wrote:
I have to give 10% of my fee to the photographic agency (with whom I have dealt before), who recommended me to the client.

Hi Jon... As they got you the gig and already have a relationship with them, I'd have a word with the agency and see what they recommend...

Not knowing what the product is could be problematic... I'd chase that up too... Again the agency should be able to clarify...

Good luck - Sound exciting!

Dave
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
aliengrove
Posted 01/11/2012 - 12:03 Link
Thanks Dave. The agency never sets the prices, they just put the photographer in touch with the client. Previously I have shot specific images for them, or sold existing ones, with the price set by the client and not the agency. This is the first time I have been asked to do an event, and is also the first time the price will be set by me and not the client.

From the email I received, it seems they have already decided to use me if they are happy with my quote, so I just need to come up with a realistic figure. They will tell me what the product is once we have agreed a price. The client seems to mainly deal with large multinational companies, so I am sure they are going to be charging a fair bit for the photographs.
Edited by aliengrove: 01/11/2012 - 12:05
cabstar
Posted 01/11/2012 - 16:34 Link
ask them their budget for the job then negotiate upwards. Thats how I always work
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Algernon
Posted 01/11/2012 - 18:05 Link
You might find something of interest on this site....

nujfeesguide

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
aliengrove
Posted 01/11/2012 - 19:01 Link
Thanks all. Unfortunately I had to reply before I'd seen your replies, but I think I'm in the ballpark. I've sent them a quote for $125 an hour, $300 for editing and providing high-res tiffs and web-size jpegs on a disc. Plus lunch. It seems to be about the going rate here. I'll just have to wait and see what they say.....
Lü
Posted 03/11/2012 - 05:56 Link
That's a very very useful link Algi, definitely gonna bookmark that one. Alien, I just checked out your links. Beautiful work you're doing there, the word masterpieces springs into my mind.

I have no idea how these things work, but for pictures of the quality your producing i'd have thought you could charge at the top end of the corporate scale.
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.
aliengrove
Posted 03/11/2012 - 11:46 Link
Thanks Lu, not sure if any of them are masterpieces, but thanks for the comment!
Peter Elgar
Posted 03/11/2012 - 12:16 Link
WoW !! I want to move to DOHA -- I get only £25 -00 a job from the only local newspaper that pays at all !! (and NO free LUNCHES !! )
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.