Evade - Recent Photo series

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 00:37
Haven't posted any photos in a long time here, so I thought I would

Its a pain in the a** posting photos on multiple sites, so I hope you don't mind me only showing one photo here, and a link to the full series (9 photos)

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/EVADE/175965 (Rest of series)

They are shot with the K20D + DA*16-50, handheld, around sunset. Processed from RAW in Adobe Lightroom 2.

Hope you enjoy them, and I would love some critique if theres any to be had

Rob
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Last Edited by ikillrocknroll on 29/01/2009 - 00:38

RR

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 01:17
Some lovely tones in that set & the last 3 have wonderful lighting but their all just far too dark for me though. My eye is struggling to find the detail & it detracts from the calmness of the images.
My Flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 08:33
I find most of your images are underexposed Rob, this set in particular. I'm sure they are good quality images and I like the theme.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

hefty1

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 10:32
I quite like the overall tone - gives them quite a brooding feel. In terms of composition I think it's numbers 8 and 9 for me; in number 8 I like the way the trees seem to be bending away from the bright light in the sky as if trying to escape, in number 9 the trees remind me of highwaymen about to rob that train. The other seven are technically OK but don't capture my imagination in quite the same way...

And always good to see a selection of square crops - reminds me of Rolleis and I like Rolleis! Must get some film for mine now the weather's starting to brighten up a bit.
Joining the Q

pschlute

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 10:51
I like the photos and the theme too. I saw this link yesterday www.bluhour.com
Peter

My Flickr page

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 29/01/2009 - 18:07
RR wrote:
Some lovely tones in that set & the last 3 have wonderful lighting but their all just far too dark for me though. My eye is struggling to find the detail & it detracts from the calmness of the images.

Mannesty wrote:
I find most of your images are underexposed Rob, this set in particular. I'm sure they are good quality images and I like the theme.

Thanks for the comments
Im not sure about the underexposure, I wanted to create a nighttime feel, rather than exposing an image so you can see everything - do you go for walks at night and see whats in the woods 20m away? Many times I have taken sunset photos and they have come out so unrealistic from what you actually see when you take the photo, because of how light they are - I wanted to create a dark and brooding feel.

However I can see where you are coming from. For me, the exposure is what I wanted, and i've seen these on another monitor (an imac), and there they were slightly lighter and more contrasty. Perhaps its all down to monitor calibration? There shouldnt be any be any pure black in the image apart from on the horizons and trees etc in sillhouette against the sky.

hefty1 wrote:
I quite like the overall tone - gives them quite a brooding feel. In terms of composition I think it's numbers 8 and 9 for me; in number 8 I like the way the trees seem to be bending away from the bright light in the sky as if trying to escape, in number 9 the trees remind me of highwaymen about to rob that train. The other seven are technically OK but don't capture my imagination in quite the same way...

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from, its often the case with alot of my series of photos.

I took the photos to be viewed as a series (one of the reasons I like that portfolio website). Alot of my photos are without subject, and in that way they become in one way non-representational, but in another, more representational because nature does not order itself by subject - neither do my photos. The image becomes the subject itself, rather than an object, and is viewed more as art than a photo. This wasnt necessarily the case here, but it often follows through. These photos were more of a journey and an evolution of a theme.

hefty1 wrote:

And always good to see a selection of square crops - reminds me of Rolleis and I like Rolleis! Must get some film for mine now the weather's starting to brighten up a bit.

I crop (and compose) nearly all my photos to sq format heh, I just like it, alot more.

pschlute wrote:
I like the photos and the theme too. I saw this link yesterday www.bluhour.com

I saw that link too, its a great website. I took these during sunset however, and the blue is simply playing around in Lightroom (mainly, the sky was blue, and clear, but not the same as blue hour photos).

On the way back I caught some nice blue hour photos of streetlights, with the contrast of orange vs blue however.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.