Entry Level Lighting Kit

JBmagician

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 14:01
I am a hobbyist photographer....for now. I am interested in purchasing a lighting kit to do some portraits. I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

What is everyone using and what do you recommend?

thanks in Advance
http://johnbonenfant.zenfolio.com/

thoughton

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 14:21
Do you mean formal portraits, as in a studio setting?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

scathontiphat

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 14:58
Definitely take a look at strobist to start leaning about off-camera lighting. it's a great resource. If you're just starting out, I'd definitely suggest going the shoe-mount strobe route rather than getting big studio lights.

As for starting out gear, here's one take:

1) Grab a flash. You can go used or new and pick up any flash that will allow you to have manual control (used ideas: Pentax af200T, nikon SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, sb-28, sb-80dx; new on the cheap side: Yongnuo YN-560) . This will only allow you to do full manual lighting, although if you're doing portraits, this is not a problem.

2) Get a light stand. I like these small ones, but any light stand will do, and if you don't plan on traveling with it I'd suggest something significantly heavier and sturdier.

3) have someway of triggering the flash off camera. Depending on the flash you bought, it might already have a built in optical trigger, which is good enough to start with. But if it doesn't you'll need either PC-cords, or a radio trigger. Personally I'm a fan of the cheap chinese radio triggers found on ebay like these ones to start off with.

4) an umbrella adapter. this goes on top of the stand and allows you to swivel/tilt your flash, as well as mount the next item.

5) a convertible umbrella. good first light modifier to start with IMO.

p.s. I'm not saying you should get those exact things I linked, just giving you an ideas...

have fun!
Last Edited by scathontiphat on 30/12/2010 - 15:00
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.