ENTRIES for Fortnight Comp #44 FOOD!!

JudithAnn

Link Posted 11/06/2010 - 00:55
This should be down right fun.

I want pictures of food. Not people eating, but the food itself. It can veggies, fruit, breads, meats. It can be desserts that make your mouth water, or something as simple as crackers and cheese, beverages are allowed too. I am looking for top quality photo.....

Pretend I own a magazine called "Food For Thought" I am looking for professional pictures of food, both simple and complex. Make it as eye-catching, interesting, and FUN as you possibly can! Props are allowed, but no people please.

Rules are as follows: Pictures taken between June 9th and June 23th

Entries must have a TITLE and DATA attached or added underneath the photo

Must be taken with a Pentax. Closing date is 6pm.

darlene

Link Posted 18/06/2010 - 04:53
Blueberry Delight

Pentax K-m

Lens 55mm

ISO 200

f-8.0

flash used
Last Edited by darlene on 18/06/2010 - 04:56

Aiki

Link Posted 18/06/2010 - 14:39
For hungry moment

date: June 13, 2010 at 1.47pm EST
Camera: Pentax K20D
Exposure: 0.011 sec (1/90)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 28.1 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

darlene

Link Posted 19/06/2010 - 01:30
Blueberry Delight

Taken June 17 2010
Pentax K-m
lens 55mm
ISO 200
f-8.0
flash used

thoughton

Link Posted 19/06/2010 - 08:28
Wel, I was hoping to have another go at this, but I've just worked out that I won't be able to fit it in before Wednesday. Plus I'm taking pity on JudithAnn by not posting at the last minute

Rabbit food

K20D, Tamron 90mm f2.5
1/125s, f9
Flash used
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 19/06/2010 - 08:34

GlynM

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 09:15
E for B

K-7 with Sigma 17-70 HSM OS @ 55mm
(Because my (3rd) DA* 16-50 has gone back with an SDM fault )

F11, 1/6 sec and ISO 200

Taken on Sunday 20th June @ 8:41 and then consumed .

Glyn

techno-terminator

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 12:34
As you can see [ didn't realise that the date stamp was still on and my PS Skills are nil so taking this off now is NOT easy ] this is I think in the time scale.

Taken with the Optio on a moving vehicle after preparing a picnic lunch on the way to Whitby to pick up our Pilgrims for Lourdes . We enjoyed our lunch and its liquid accompaniment .

It's just a snapshot [ literally ] but it's FOOD ">
" class="comment_image" />

oops - forgot Optio P70 , 1/60 sec , f 2.6 ISO 500
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Last Edited by techno-terminator on 20/06/2010 - 12:46

Hyram

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 16:56
'Pick Your Own Dessert'

.........the latest fast food concept as reported in the July edition of 'Food for Thought' magazine.

Taken today Sunday 20th June 2010
K10D + Sigma 105 macro
ISO 100
f11
1/125 sec
Dessert - courtesy of Belinda B.
Strawberry bed - courtesy of Belinda B. and Hyram
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

dougf8

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 19:59
Sushi,

Sunday 20th June 2010
K-7
Sigma 105mm
ISO 200
f8
1/60 sec
Lurking is shirking.!

Lilly

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 20:37
'Take Two Eggs' homage to Delia

File change date and time: 2010:06:20 20:32:03
Image input equipment manufacturer: PENTAX
Image input equipment model: PENTAX K20D
Exposure time: 0.1
F number: 2.8
Exposure program: 3
ISO speed rating: 200
Exposure bias: 2
Metering mode: 3
Flash: 16
Lens focal length: 50
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

davidtrout

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 22:56
Sizzling

Where: Barbecue, Durham.
When: Sunday June 20 2010
Kit: K10+DA*16-50mm lens at 43mm.
Exposure: F11 at 1/60th sec.
ISO: 200.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

ReklawyksEkul

Link Posted 21/06/2010 - 06:13
here,have a lick..

date/time:2010-06-04 13:19:25

pentax kx
smc m 50mm
exposure: f2 at 1/100 sec
iso speed ratings: 200
flash didnt fire
iqbal

learning in progress...

picasa
flickr
photoblog
PPG

pink

Link Posted 22/06/2010 - 17:49
Well I did ask for it

So...................here is my entry

Strawberries and cream

I was going to add a bowl with strawberries but not sure if two merged images are aloud

Pentax K20D
Manual Mode
Shutter speed 125 sec
ISO 100
WB custom
Lens Tamron 28-70mm 2.8F
22nd June 2010
17.00 pm
flash,tripod and RT used and a home made snoot

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Last Edited by pink on 22/06/2010 - 17:49

mikew

Link Posted 22/06/2010 - 19:19
Here's mine - I wish I'd used a tripod. I agonised for hours for a suitable title, first one, then another and then a thunderbolt thought:

Cheese & Crackers

Taken Sunday
K20D
Sigma 50 macro
f11 at 45th
ISO 100

It was my football snack on the table in the setting sun and I thought - that could work.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Last Edited by mikew on 22/06/2010 - 19:20

JudithAnn

Link Posted 23/06/2010 - 18:44
MMM.... I am stuffed.... loosen my belt.... slightly recline.... and here goes nothing. Or at least that’s how it would be if I had let temptation get the best of me this week. Picking a winner seems like being at a 5 star gourmet restaurant and trying to decide what to order with such a tantalizing array of entrées.
As usual the judging is only my humble, nonprofessional opinion. (Although I am pretending to be the editor of the ever distinguished “Food for Thought” magazine) So here are the contents of the “Summer-2010” issue. I hope you gobble down every last article!

Aiki - For hungry moment: You have gotten me off to a mouth watering start. Not only is this something I would be pleased to eat, I would like to publish it in the “Starters and Light Lunches” portion of ‘Food for Thought’. The focus and colour on the dish is sharp, showing in great detail all layers and ingredients in the salad. From the tomatoes and cheese to the mint and ground pepper, it is neither too busy nor bland. The selection of fruit in the background gives the photo a feel of depth without drawing the eye back and forth. All in all a great 2 page spread on the next rack.

Darlene – Blueberry Delight: Here at ‘Food for Thought’ we take dessert very seriously, and we can see that you do also. The natural colour and shape of the berries and drizzle stand out wonderfully on the white ice-cream and shortcake. Perfect to the cottage feel of this simple delight is the folk art dish in which it is served. I feel this submission should be placed in the “seasonal tastes” dessert section. I am sure our readers will be driven in droves to their local farmers market in search of this tiny fruit.

Thoughton – Rabbit Food: We are starting a new column called “Keep it Simple”, and would like to use your ‘Rabbit Food’ for our debut story. The choice of white background allows the texture and colour of the produce to be sharply executed, which it was. The lighting, ever so slightly to the right, gives just enough shadow and depth in order to appreciate every morsel of these organic tidbits without distraction. Makes me want to garden.

GlynM – E for B: Many of our readers are in the service industry, and often place listings with us. Your picture will be placed with our recommended Bed&Breakfasts. The deep color of the yolk along with the fresh squeezed vibrancy of the orange juice complement each other well. Along with the unassuming fingers of toast, and hearted table cloth it comes together as the perfect way to start a bright country vacation.

Techno-terminator - Lunch at 50+ miles an hour : Eating well does not always mean eating while seated, so this untitled piece will be in the “DIY, anywhere, anytime” pages. The picture has many distractions, like the scissors on the left and the dishpan on the right (but how could it not in these cramped quarters). The thinly sliced fish does look like it could almost melt in your mouth, and sides well with the salad and garnish. The texture of the side bread shows well. I would like to have seen this in a warmer front light. It is scrumptious looking all the same. (did you do the fillet job yourself!?!)

Hyram – Pick Your Own Dessert: Our “fast food” editing staff has been buzzing all week over this one. The colour is extraordinary, and the texture perfect in the detail of the blossom and the sparkle of the sugar crystals. This looks like a plant grown in the classier section of Willie Wonkas Factory, a rich, creamy, strawberry concoction, as sweet to view as to eat. I loved the border also. Brilliant idea... Brilliant execution... Brilliantly professional.

Dougf8 – Sushi: This photo was immediately singled out by the staff heading ‘Food for Thought’s “Ethnic Jewels” ‘category. The organic green of the serving surface twinkles with a smooth prismatic light. It was a clean yet sophisticated background for the simple and delicate pieces of food. The morsels are artfully arranged and crowned with the vinegared rice(?). With the lighting, colour, angle and sharpness, I find I am able to enjoy each piece without my eyes darting around. Lovely.

Lilly - 'Take Two Eggs' homage to Delia: I would also like to print this photo in our “Keep it Simple” column. The white on white is soft on the eyes, yet not removing from the curving ellipse of the slightly off white, speckled hen egg. The oriental character in the corner gives just enough contest to the paleness so as not to look washed out. The right angles of the plate also was well matched for the rounded offering being made.

Davidtrout – Sizzling: Only in the summer does ‘Food for Thought’ run our grilling insert, and this shot will definitely be in those pages. The sheen of juices on the meat, along with the intense colour differences on the slabs are well captured. From the blackened edges to the pink highlights, and the diamond grill lines in center, this will surly inspire readers to “fire up the barby”. The licks of flame were well captured and also add to the authenticity of this manly summer vocation of “FIRE COOKING!”

ReklawyksEkul – Here, have a lick: Summer would not be complete without ice cream. This will accompany the article “Drive Thru”. The twists of soft serve are well taken, and I feel B&W was a good choice for this shot. The blurred chequered floor in the background added a nostalgic flavour to this summer treat. I did however find the hand rather distracting, and think somehow a much smaller child’s hand would have been a better choice (not that we all have children at our disposal)

Cardiff_gareth – Blueberry: This seasons “don’t forget your health” write up will feature anti-oxidants. Blueberries are rich in these as well as many other nutrients. This macro captures in detail the complex structure and texture of this miniscule fruit. The lighting on the white background truly serves the detail we rarely see while gobbling them by the handful (or dessertful) and adds a wonderful base shadow. The colour is true and thankfully not enhanced to appear bluer then the true blueberry. Your setup also seems to bring to light the science as well as the art of edible nature.

Pink – Strawberries and cream: This picture will be an inspiration to all in our special feature “Those Summer Nights”. Oh my, talk about capturing a shot of the perfect food coupling. The velvety black backdrop allows the doused berry, cradled by a spoon to be a true star on stage. The textured seediness of the fraises with a smooth splash of cream (did you use a syringe?), the red being consumed by white in a silver hold, caught a moment in time. This picture speaks of anticipation before indulgence, loud and clear...(although I’m sure you indulged plenty while working for the right snap)

Mikew – Cheese and Crackers: Yet another entry for the debut of “Keep it Simple”. Here at ‘Food for Thought’ we pride ourselves on having something for everyone. Although very monochromatic, the crumbliness of the blue cheese held true to its Sharpe flavour and aroma. It looked very complimentary with the crackers, which were in prime focus. The crystals of salt and the grains in their perforated texture were captured with good clarity, as was the veins in the rich cheese. I am glad this was your pick over the standard, overused cheddar. The mixture of shapes in your cracker choice was also crack on.

And now for results. Drum roll please!
1st place: Aiki - For hungry moment
2nd place: Hyram – Pick Your Own Dessert
3rd place: Cardiff_gareth – Blueberry & Pink – Strawberries and cream
Highly commended: Thoughton – Rabbit Food

Thank you all for your contributions to “Food for Thought” magazine. The staff in accounting will have your cheques in the mail within the next fortnight. If you do not receive your payment in 21 days, please feel free to send your concerns to Aiki.
https://www.jastandringphotos.com
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.