Dynamic Pixel Shift

LennyBloke

Link Posted 10/01/2021 - 22:48
Being a bit "traditional" (or is it slow) I tend to stick to what I know - so I've not really taken advantage of Pixel Shift before until this weekend when I decided to look at it properly. I've only scratched the surface but my first impression is simply "Wow!" - I set my K1 MkII up to shoot PS Jpeg and after getting used to the extended processing time in camera I've been truly impressed with what it can produce. Here are a few images from the weekend - not taken in ideal conditions, some at much slower speeds than I would have liked....

6. (1/13th second)

Not particularly great images, but PS seems to help quite a lot

If you haven't tried it yet I'd encourage you to have a go
LennyBloke

Flan

Link Posted 10/01/2021 - 23:29
Hi LennyBloke, the third image is really cool and when I looked at it on large screen even better. Absolutely love the colour clarity on that .Pixel shift in all the images Iíve seen beats the crap out HDR. Bye the way is image number 4 a cabbage leaf ? Iím still waiting to use pixel shift on my k70 because of post processing as Iím really only wetting my feet with rawtherappee (even after a year and only processing raw files very recently)

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/01/2021 - 23:31
1st and last. The nettle is beautifully rendered. What lens was it?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 08:14
Hi Flan - I've used PixelShift to capture and process in camera as Jpeg, so I'm only post processing the output .jpg file (as far as I'm aware ) - the only drawback i've noticed so far is where the image includes highlights, these aren't recoverable to the same extent as they might be in RAW.
No.4 is the leaf of a Romano Cauliflower - should have matured last Autumn but never did, now there is tiny cauliflower (smaller than a ping-pong ball) hiding amongst the leaves

David - the lens is my Pentax F 50mm f2.8 Macro, a lens that I put up for sale last year and had zero interest (fortunately)
LennyBloke

psburnley

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 10:23
Fantastic detail in the enlarged images. Presumably these were taken on a tripod? If not, then amazing if hand held!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 11:08
psburnley wrote:
Fantastic detail in the enlarged images. Presumably these were taken on a tripod? If not, then amazing if hand held!

All hand held
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 11:12
Very good - but then your pictures always are.

For those of us who don't have a camera that can do pixel shift, can you post a comparison of with and without pixel shift so we can see what we're missing?

Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 11:19
Lubbyman wrote:
Very good - but then your pictures always are.

For those of us who don't have a camera that can do pixel shift, can you post a comparison of with and without pixel shift so we can see what we're missing?

Steve

Good point Steve - of course it could be that those shots would have been sharp even without Pixel Shift (that lens is superb), I will do some comparison shots when I get a few mins and create a separate post. It just struck me how good the "look" and sharpness were on photos I expected to look a bit dull!
LennyBloke

MrB

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 14:07
One point of information (checked on a KP) which might be of interest to some Pentax Users:-
When using pixel shift mode, the shutter mechanism is used only once, the multiple images being captured electronically, but the recorded shutter count increases by four.

Philip

jvs

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 15:58
Very tempted now to give the pixel shift facility a go. It would certainly be interesting to do a comparison. As others have said already, it's not easy to see the benefit in images posted by someone whose "normal" photos are top-notch anyway.
John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.