Dye or Pigment inks
Posted 13/08/2012 - 15:52
Link
My son has the excellent low cost Canon iX6550 A3 which used three dye inks for colour and the photo black with seperate pigment black reserved for text on plain paper. Canon inks are a silly price but chipped pattern ones work fine especially the quality Swiss ones.
Top end 10 ink models all use pigment as its more resistant to fading although Canon (for example) would have you believe the gap has closed. Paper quality has a big effect on all this too of course.
Top end 10 ink models all use pigment as its more resistant to fading although Canon (for example) would have you believe the gap has closed. Paper quality has a big effect on all this too of course.
Posted 13/08/2012 - 16:01
Link
I was told by someone at an ink reseller, that if you only use your printer (and therfore inks) infrequently then its best to go with dye as pigment ink can degrade and break down if not used.
Don't know if that is true, can't see that he'd deliberately mislead though.
Don't know if that is true, can't see that he'd deliberately mislead though.
Posted 13/08/2012 - 18:17
Link
Yes, you can use dye ink in a printer designed with pigment ink in mind. Most epson printer carts are still available on ebay.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Posted 14/08/2012 - 14:37
Link
would there not be different absortion rates into the paper and drying times not using the recommended ink. if you are doing A3+ prints you need the ink as dry as possible before it hits the rollers otherwise you are in a mess i would imagine.
i have an Epson R1800 and use the pigment inks never had a problem with them and i don,t do a lot of printing. i do run a test sheet through every week just to keep nozzles free.
i have an Epson R1800 and use the pigment inks never had a problem with them and i don,t do a lot of printing. i do run a test sheet through every week just to keep nozzles free.
Posted 14/08/2012 - 14:52
Link
redbusa99 wrote:
would there not be different absortion rates into the paper and drying times not using the recommended ink.
The absorption rate and drying time are determined by the "carrier" used, not by the pigment or dyes.
would there not be different absortion rates into the paper and drying times not using the recommended ink.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 14/08/2012 - 18:04
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
My son has the excellent low cost Canon iX6550 A3 which used three dye inks for colour and the photo black with seperate pigment black reserved for text on plain paper. Canon inks are a silly price but chipped pattern ones work fine especially the quality Swiss ones.
Where does he get his inks from Bill. I've had this printer ix6550 over a year now so think it's time to try the lookalike inks. Also what paper does he use as that can be pricy too.
My son has the excellent low cost Canon iX6550 A3 which used three dye inks for colour and the photo black with seperate pigment black reserved for text on plain paper. Canon inks are a silly price but chipped pattern ones work fine especially the quality Swiss ones.
Posted 15/08/2012 - 13:04
Link
Thanks all for your input.
If i do decide to invest in a A3/2 i will stick to the pigment inks i think the head technolagy is different as well as the software.
Both dye and pigment inks are in water for home use not in chemicals stops you killing your self when printing.
But it mybe cheaper to use online firms rather than forking out a £1000.00 for the printer not as satisfying just cheaper.
Cheers
Dave
If i do decide to invest in a A3/2 i will stick to the pigment inks i think the head technolagy is different as well as the software.
Both dye and pigment inks are in water for home use not in chemicals stops you killing your self when printing.
But it mybe cheaper to use online firms rather than forking out a £1000.00 for the printer not as satisfying just cheaper.
Cheers
Dave
Posted 15/08/2012 - 13:15
Link
[/quote]Where does he get his inks from Bill. I've had this printer ix6550 over a year now so think it's time to try the lookalike inks. Also what paper does he use as that can be pricy too. [/quote]Hi Stan,
Yes over 50 quid for a set of Canon's a bit much for most of us. Fine if you're charging £60 an hour for your work BUT not for most amateurs!
We get ink cartridges from ink.co.uk I've used their cheaper chipped ones on my A4 Pixma ip4500 for a long time with great success. They do slightly dearer Swiss ink ones (more ink though) including for your printer but I can't see the difference personally.
Yes A3 photo paper is dear. I think Adam used Photo Paper Direct for his last box of paper. Again I personally only have A4 but I find ink.co.uk good (often Agfa) but no A3 last time I looked. 7 Day Shops 270gm silk (boxed 50 sheets) is excellent for a tenner. They are revamping their web site this week so no idea what is listed for A3 if any.
Yes over 50 quid for a set of Canon's a bit much for most of us. Fine if you're charging £60 an hour for your work BUT not for most amateurs!
We get ink cartridges from ink.co.uk I've used their cheaper chipped ones on my A4 Pixma ip4500 for a long time with great success. They do slightly dearer Swiss ink ones (more ink though) including for your printer but I can't see the difference personally.
Yes A3 photo paper is dear. I think Adam used Photo Paper Direct for his last box of paper. Again I personally only have A4 but I find ink.co.uk good (often Agfa) but no A3 last time I looked. 7 Day Shops 270gm silk (boxed 50 sheets) is excellent for a tenner. They are revamping their web site this week so no idea what is listed for A3 if any.
Posted 15/08/2012 - 13:43
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
We get ink cartridges from ink.co.uk I've used their cheaper chipped ones on my A4 Pixma ip4500 for a long time with great success. They do slightly dearer Swiss ink ones (more ink though) including for your printer but I can't see the difference personally.
Yes A3 photo paper is dear. I think Adam used Photo Paper Direct for his last box of paper. Again I personally only have A4 but I find ink.co.uk good (often Agfa) but no A3 last time I looked. 7 Day Shops 270gm silk (boxed 50 sheets) is excellent for a tenner. They are revamping their web site this week so no idea what is listed for A3 if any.
Thanks for that info Bill. Our "season" at the camera club starts in September and I do like to enter, mainly for the judges comments We get ink cartridges from ink.co.uk I've used their cheaper chipped ones on my A4 Pixma ip4500 for a long time with great success. They do slightly dearer Swiss ink ones (more ink though) including for your printer but I can't see the difference personally.
Yes A3 photo paper is dear. I think Adam used Photo Paper Direct for his last box of paper. Again I personally only have A4 but I find ink.co.uk good (often Agfa) but no A3 last time I looked. 7 Day Shops 270gm silk (boxed 50 sheets) is excellent for a tenner. They are revamping their web site this week so no idea what is listed for A3 if any.
I have two Canon packs ready but once they are gone I'm trying the "look-a-likes". We have a member who does printing for a small fee but I'm not sure how much he "enchances" the image but I would think he may just print what he gets on the usb drive ? Anyway it won't take long to use up the inks I have so will let you know how I get on later in the year
Posted 15/08/2012 - 15:52
Link
Bill, i get my genuine epson inks from this company and have not found any one cheaper on genuine ones, they used to be local but have moved to Yorkshire but with free postage the price has not altered.
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
Posted 15/08/2012 - 16:51
Link
redbusa99 wrote:
Bill, i get my genuine epson inks from this company and have not found any one cheaper on genuine ones, they used to be local but have moved to Yorkshire but with free postage the price has not altered.
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
That's very good thanks, i'll pass it on.
Bill, i get my genuine epson inks from this company and have not found any one cheaper on genuine ones, they used to be local but have moved to Yorkshire but with free postage the price has not altered.
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
Posted 15/08/2012 - 16:57
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="redbusa99"]Bill, i get my genuine epson inks from this company and have not found any one cheaper on genuine ones, they used to be local but have moved to Yorkshire but with free postage the price has not altered.
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
Reading further there is still the photo black to add so that's still £50.94 for a set!
[quote:3496ace15f="redbusa99"]Bill, i get my genuine epson inks from this company and have not found any one cheaper on genuine ones, they used to be local but have moved to Yorkshire but with free postage the price has not altered.
i checked the canon price for genuine cartridges for your sons printer and they are :- c/m/y triple pack £28.78, high volume black £11.50
http://www.tonik.co.uk/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


258 posts
14 years
WIRRAL
Does any body know if you can use Dye inks in a Pigment ink printer and if you can are there any body making the cartridges. I am thinking of buying a A3+ or A2 EPSON but they all use pigment inks.
Cheers
Dave