Dust Dust Dust!!! I hate it!

Jetsam1
Posted 19/11/2010 - 08:28 Link
Just when I thought everything was all nice and ok, I just notice a blob of dust on my pics. Not too big, but prominent on anything to do with sky.

And now that is all I can see. This stuff gets everywhere.......... The only major drawback of DSLR cameras...........

Now to go back through everything I've taken for the last month and try the touch up method on iPhoto.......
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
snappychappy
Posted 19/11/2010 - 15:00 Link
Arctic butterfly, is the answer.
gartmore
Posted 19/11/2010 - 15:02 Link
It has been a major drawback in photography since 1839.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 19/11/2010 - 15:02
jeeess1967
Posted 20/11/2010 - 12:04 Link
Swab and solution should also help....i use it....jee ess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
dougf8
Posted 20/11/2010 - 13:32 Link
Ditto, blow the lens before putting on.
Have a spare lens cap to limit dust time when swapping.

There's an opportunity for somebody to invent a "dust trap" TM. An open caged sticky thing that attracts dust in your camera bag and swallows it. A bit like an ant trap, but for dust .....

I would but I'm busy.
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 20/11/2010 - 13:38
Jetsam1
Posted 20/11/2010 - 13:48 Link
I hadn't noticed the dust at all until I looked from a slightly different angle!!

The arctic butterfly is quite expensive......


I'm very paranoid about damaging the sensor or making the dust worse through the home cleaning stuff!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
greynolds999
Posted 20/11/2010 - 13:53 Link
Jetsam1 wrote:
I hadn't noticed the dust at all until I looked from a slightly different angle!!

The arctic butterfly is quite expensive......


I'm very paranoid about damaging the sensor or making the dust worse through the home cleaning stuff!
It's worth every penny. And don't forget it isn't the sensor itself you're cleaning but the sensor protector. If you follow the instructions you won't go wrong.

And do you really think the average Joe in the local camera shop is using anything else (or that they will take as much care of your camera as you will)?
amoringello
Posted 20/11/2010 - 16:17 Link
Just note that if you go the liquid option, be careful about which one you buy.
I know of two choices; Eclipse and Eclipse2. The wrong one will damage the sensor coating.

Other than that, nothing to doing it yourself.
I have not heard of anyone with an ounce of common sense actually doing damage. (if you have uncontrollable shaking in your hands, you might want to think about having someone do that for you)
Liquid cleaning is probably about the only thing that gets sticky pollen and similar crud off the sensor.


Have not tried the Artic Butterfly, how well does it work for really sticky stuff like pollen?
Although honestly, with the anti-dust system in the K7/K5 I have not had a reason to do more than use the Rocket Blower.
Just interested, as the Artic butterfly would be so much more convenient than carrying flammable liquid, especially on a plane trip.
greynolds999
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:02 Link
It doesn't work for pollen but works for dust. I use the butterfly when I need to (about once a year) and swabs if I really, really need to - which so far has been once!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo