Dung Beetle

coker
Posted 16/10/2017 - 16:21 Link
Found dead on a conifer forest path fairly near home.

K5, 100mm. D FA Macro. Polarising filter.
AF 280T on-camera flash, 2x tracing paper diffuser on homemade softbox.
Stack of 31 images in Combine ZP.
Elements 11.

Comment Image



Any thoughts welcome.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
MikeInDevon
Posted 16/10/2017 - 16:28 Link
What incredible detail, it would be amazing to see this at the camera's full resolution!
Regards
Mike
RobL
Posted 16/10/2017 - 16:34 Link
Impressive, what do you use for focus stacking?
coker
Posted 16/10/2017 - 20:03 Link
This is done with Combine ZP, available as a free download.
I find it easy to use, giving good results.

The first shot is taken once all camera settings have been made, I use manual for both focus &exposure.
Thereafter, focus is adjusted to advance the focal point further down the subject, away from the camera.
On the 100mm. D FA Macro, I use the ribs on the focus ring asa guide, moving the ring round by about a ridge & a half for each shot.

Best thing to do is to try it.
If I can do it, anyone can.

Go on..... You know you want to!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
davidwozhere
Posted 17/10/2017 - 00:37 Link
Combine ZP is excellent, especially as it is free. It has but one quirk and that is, it sometimes leaves a (very narrow) border of incomplete processing around the edges, so be sure to allow a tiny bit of leeway around the part of the image that matters. Then you can simply crop it off the final result. I tend to use my bellows and then it is easy to accurately advance the focus by the millimeter increments on the carriage. I generally focus on the furthest extremity of the subject, note the position of some convenient index marker on the scale, then focus on the nearest part of the subject. This gives me the extent of the carriage travel needed to photograph the whole thing, from which you can determine how many incremental exposures will be needed. (e.g. count the millimeters). The lens itself is set at infinity throughout. The carriage movement does the work.

Like Roger says, Go on - have a go!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Algernon
Posted 17/10/2017 - 08:29 Link
A Focusing Rail is very handy for stacking, especially if it has mm markings.


--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
derek897
Posted 17/10/2017 - 12:05 Link
MMMmmm never tried focus stacking. might see if i can rig something up to use as a rail, as i handhold most of my macro efforts.

Super work Coker.
I know what i like, If not always why.
davidwozhere
Posted 18/10/2017 - 22:23 Link
Most of your subjects will try to leg it. You need stuff that stays still
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
derek897
Posted 19/10/2017 - 08:39 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
Most of your subjects will try to leg it. You need stuff that stays still
I know what i like, If not always why.
Mike-P
Posted 19/10/2017 - 11:01 Link
With stacking I have found the easiest way is to put the camera into it's highest fps and take multiple shots. You will find that if you do this handheld you will naturally get different parts of the subject in focus then just choose which shots to stack. Especially useful for live subjects.

Good detail in this one, like the high key background as well.
coker
Posted 19/10/2017 - 15:09 Link
Brilliant, Mike!

Would never have thought of that!

Thank you!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
davidwozhere
Posted 20/10/2017 - 01:22 Link
Yes indeed. That's exceptionally clever !
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo