Dumb question - EXIF info (f Stop and Aperture)

Snappyhoffy
Posted 25/11/2013 - 23:29 Link
OK, here goes make an idiot of myself but always pleased to learn something....

In looking for inspiration in the gallery shoots and reading the EXIF data what is the difference between 'F Stop' and 'Aperture' aren't they the same thing (but they appear as different values in most EXIF data.

As I expect, a dumb question but please enlighten me..(excuse the pun!)
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3 III, DA* 16-50, HD DA 16-85, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, HD 55-300 PLM, HD 1.4x, AF360
davidstorm
Posted 25/11/2013 - 23:50 Link
In the context of the Gallery Images, it is the 'F Stop' value that shows the aperture actually used to take the shot. I don't know what the 'Aperture' value shows as it seems inconsistent and I just ignore it. I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten us...........

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 25/11/2013 - 23:50
bforbes
Posted 25/11/2013 - 23:51 Link
I think it's because the aperture value varies for an F stop as the focal length of a zoom lens changes.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo