Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Drought and Etymology

George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 11:52 Link
Comment Image

This is the mighty River Thames, reduced to a trickle.

Looking out of my window, my eye was drawn to the sight of two fit young ladies, paddling about in the river. They had clearly just learned the first rule of boating, which states that boats don't float if there's not enough water.

Had they shared my interest in etymology, they would have deduced that the river is unusually shallow at Brentford, and that at low tide it pays to take particular care.

Naturally I waded in to provide assistance, but that is another story...

G

PS: Yes, I know there is lots of purple fringing, a consequence of shooting almost straight at a low sun. Silkypix has a tool to fix this, but I haven't mastered it yet.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
steven9761
Posted 06/04/2012 - 12:09 Link
George - it must be my eyesight this morning, but I can't see any purple fringing!

By the way - I've never seen the water level that low at Brentford before.
George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 12:25 Link
Look at the right hand edge of the bank of pebbles in the foreground.

I suspect your eyes were pointed higher up.

G
steven9761
Posted 06/04/2012 - 15:15 Link
Now that you've pointed it out, I see it!!.. Mind you, it could be some strange alien life-form you would possibly meet in Hounslow High Street!!
ChrisA
Posted 06/04/2012 - 15:26 Link
So does Brentford mean 'the ford at Brent', then?

Where is Brent?

Or was there a river Brent?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
steven9761
Posted 06/04/2012 - 15:38 Link
Brent is a borough in west London. It is situated around (mainly) the Greenford area. I believe there is actually a River Brent that runs through it, but don't quote me on it! Try looking on Google Maps for it, Chris!
Edited by steven9761: 06/04/2012 - 15:39
womble
Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:08 Link
Quote:
Brentford is a suburban town in west London, England, and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It is located at the confluence of the River Thames and the River Brent, 8 miles (13 km) west-southwest of Charing Cross. Its former ceremonial county was Middlesex.

From Wikipedia.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:38 Link
Chris is not being entirely serious, gentlemen.

But in the interests of geographical accuracy, Brentford is far from Brent, a modern borough named after the river that flows through it, and also through Greenford.

And the ford is over the Thames. The Romans are reputed to have crossed here, so I spend my waking hours out on the strand, looking for denarii. Or stranded maidens.

G
George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:40 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Now that you've pointed it out, I see it!!.. Mind you, it could be some strange alien life-form you would possibly meet in Hounslow High Street!!

Yes, indeed. I do my best to avoid Hounslow High Street for that very reason.

G
steven9761
Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:47 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
steven9761 wrote:

G

I'm guessing your grasp of Punjabi is as good as mine then, George??!!
ChrisA
Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:51 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Chris is not being entirely serious, gentlemen.

Unusually, I was

I was wondering about the reference to etymology, overcomplicated myself severely wondering about the words drought and draught, in the context of the photo, and then realised that the etymological reference was to Brentford.

For an interest in etymology to have been any use in avoiding the beaching, one would have to have known about the ford at Brentford.

I guess the River Brent must be the connection there, since as George remarks, Brent is nowhere near Brentford (thank god).
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:07 Link
steven9761 wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Quote:

G

I though you meant the sort of person that some people here travel to Whitby every year to see.

G
steven9761
Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:12 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
steven9761 wrote:
Quote:
steven9761 wrote:

G

I though you meant the sort of person that some people here travel to Whitby every year to see.

G

George - rumour has it that the UN Headquarters are moving fron NYC to Hounslow!!
George Lazarette
Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:34 Link
Parts of Hounslow are certainly "multi-cultural", and in that sense the borough reflects the breadth and scope of the British Empire.

And if people from the former empire should decide to colonise the former coloniser, then that is surely a compliment.

Speaking as somebody whose family has strong connections with more than one colony, I am glad that nowadays I don't have to get on a plane to experience the colour, variety, exuberance, industry, and culinary delights of these exotic worlds that we briefly administered, and which I remember well.

But Goths! Ugh.

G
ChrisA
Posted 06/04/2012 - 19:23 Link
This is all getting off the point.

I must take you to task, George - it's impossible to tell from your picture whether the ladies in question are fit or not.

Don't you have any lenses of a decent focal length?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.